Friday 27 March 2020

Did You Clap?

Last night at 8pm people were being encouraged to stand at their doors and clap for the front line workers dealing with this current pandemic.  I wasn't sure if the folk in my neighbourhood would get involved but they did and it was quite moving to all join forces and show our appreciation at this difficult time.  I must admit I was sad when the street was quiet this evening, it was almost a case of 'job done' whereas  the folk in Italy are clapping and banging night after night, maybe the enormity of the approaching tsunami is yet to hit home in the UK.  The current lockdown is an attempt at flattening the curve but the predicted peak is in early June, so we have a long wait ahead of us for sure.

I am so grateful for the current warm spell, we have made the most of it and taken our lessons into the garden.  In between the home schooling I have managed to keep up with household tasks and done my absolute best to tackle a job and then have at least a twenty minute  sit down in between.  It has been great to peg the washing on the line, you cannot beat the smell of line dried laundry :-)

Our Sainsbury's click and collect order was arranged for just after 8:00am this morning and this meant leaving the house just after half seven.  In normal circumstances you would avoid travelling into the city at that time of the morning due to schools traffic and those on the daily commute.  It was quite surreal to be sailing through the city centre and even the pedestrians were thin on the ground.  Sadly the homeless folk are still on the streets but the latest news is that councils have to organise hotel accomodation for them all by the end of the weekend.  Without a doubt we have a duty of care to those less fortunate but when all this blows over, I hope and pray that they won't just be turfed out onto the streets once more.  Can you imagine how awful it would be to be given the luxury of a roof over your head, clean sheets and the luxury of running water only for it to be taken away as quickly as it was given?

After a yummy beakfast of porridge, cream and chocolate pieces Pip set too with her English work, I tackled the bedrooms and Ben organised the lunch and put away the shopping.  Our afternoon was equally productive, Pip had her first Skype session with her maths tutor and Ben began painting our new compost bin.  I kept him company in the sunshine and we prayed The Divine Mercy Chaplet for some dear friends that are poorly with the virus.  I also decided to lay aside my current crochet blanket and instead work on some rainbow coloured bunting for the dining room window.  I don't know how it started but kids around the UK are colouring rainbows and hanging them in their windows as a sign of hope to the world.  As a result I have joined forces with the yarn community to spread some yarny cheer as folk pass by on their daily walk. 

Here are some pictures from our days:


 Even Poppy is enjoying the sunshine.


 Gathering the necessary sheets for the maths session.





 Garden maths from yesterday.


Really tasty Lasagne courtesy of Ben.





This lad always loves to help and really enjoys practical based activities.

One of the "Good Morning" WhatsApp family photos courtesy of Sara and Tom, that smile says, 'Isn't life great!'  xx

5 comments:

doe said...

Your post warms my heart, San. Your spirit is so strong and caring. It helps me to feel better. We have a long wait ahead of us too . . into June. I've been despondent about it all day and have been trying to find a better attitude. We played a game together this evening and watched a funny episode of Seinfeld. It felt so good to laugh. Chanda has been struggling too . . but I think we helped each other to find a more solid ground together this evening. I love seeing your homeschooling days. That was a brave excursion to Sainsbury's. I'm glad it was a quiet drive in. It's very surreal around our major avenues too. Our neighborhood streets are quiet, but the river walk can get a little too busy on a sunny day.

Ollie is growing so fast! What a sweetheart . . and it's nice to see Poppy. It's wonderful to see Pip and Ben so busy with their work (and Dave helping? Overseeing?)

It has been encouraging to see Italy's evening claps and singalongs and music get togethers. You're right about the homeless. I'm not even sure what provisions they've made here yet . . I haven't paid as much attention to the news this week.

Stay home and stay well, dear San. I'll keep all of you in my prayers tonight, and your friends too. xoxoxo

(P.S. our Saturday green market farmer sent an email saying we could order online and they would deliver it to us tomorrow. They're trying to avoid as much contact as possible, so instead of having people pick up food around the tables on the sidewalk, they'll have everything packed for dropping off. All they have to do is buzz, and then leave the bags inside the lobby door.)


sustainablemum said...

I braved the shops yesterday too. It was strange to see the streets so empty wasn't it? Having been at home for a week and not been out of the village it really hit home to me the extent of the effect of this virus.

I am so glad to hear that you have been able to find a way to continue some of your home schooling online, we all have to be creative at this time don't we.

Looking forward to seeing your completed bunting xx

elli said...

We have a similar situation here regarding the local homeless folks ... an ongoing, agonizing social justice issue to be sure, compounded by our state legislature approving lots of funding this past year, only to sit in silence on actually moving ahead on implementing projects. .... Well. And so, in the face of the shelter at home necessity, our city is moving mountains to house the homeless populace in hotels and park shelters, clean safe spaces ... I have watched this unfold these past few days, fighting cynicism: astonishing how suddenly and easily space and funding can be ‘discovered’ ... knowing they will be back on the street just as soon as the health crisis is winding down ... I say fighting my inner cynic — I try to be at peace and love all my neighbors, politicians included! — but I take comfort in Jesus: if he can overturn tables, so can we ....

Kezzie said...

Ooh, that Lasagna looks delicious! I do love Lasagna!!! Good old Ben! I'm glad that homeless people are getting somewhere to stay safe. We have lots of homeless people in Southend so I am hoping that they are all being housed too. I made a donation to Crisis this week because I was worrying about them.

Dominick said...

If you are getting tired of taking extra pressure for work then just relax. Because maid agency in singapore is here to give you the full support for your work. As they have so many professional workers and maids who are always ready to give you a good service with the best deal.