Monday 16 October 2023

Monday Moments

 Ben was at the decking job in Great Ecclestone this morning and since it was a short visit it made sense for me to stop in the car, so I brought a mending job that was on my list:


The zip was no longer functioning in my grey Lands End coat so step one was to remove the existing one before replacing with the newer version.


After he had finished with his site inspection and organised phase two of the project it was time to head home, but as a thank you we stopped at Myerscough Plant World Cafe, and Ben bought me a latte.  Interestingly we sat in the exact same spot many moons ago (2011)when Sara was a student.  You can take a trip down memory lane if you like and see the blog post here








This afternoon has involved sewing said zipper into the coat.  It would have taken me a fraction of the time to use my machine but I wasn't feeling too great today (my body has not liked being upright 🤪) so I put my feet up on the sofa and have slowly hand stitched my way along the coat 😊


For tea we had another meal from last week's cookbook but gah is was difficult with the pastry!  Greek yogurt is used in a lot of their pastry style dishes as a cheaper alternative to butter and to speed up the whole process, but it did make the dough more difficult to roll out.  However it was worth it as the pasties were really tasty and there are enough for lunch tomorrow, so that's a win!



The filling is one medium sweet potato, one small courgette and one leek finely chopped, 80g of extra mature cheddar cheese, 70g cottage cheese, a dessertspoon of left over clotted cream and a drizzle of water to help combine.


The dough mix was 300g self raising flour, 2 teaspoons of onion salt and 180g greek yogurt.  Mix all the ingredients to form a dough, adding a little cold water if necessary to combine.

I rolled the dough into a rough circular shape, added the filling and then formed a pasty shape with each round of dough.  The pasty's were cooked in the oven at 200C for 15 minutes and then 180C for a further 15 minutes.  Since the vegetables are finely sliced the cooking action within the pasty mimics a steaming effect and so there is no need to sauté the veg before cooking.




5 comments:

Eva said...

That is smart to take along such a project! And you hand-stitched in the new zipper? That must have taken a long time, no? I dread work with zippers. They seem to have a life on their own. I looked at the old post and saw that I already commented back then. Pip is so tiny! Maybe sour cream would work better than Greek yogurt in that recipe? Greek yogurt is very expensive here, more expensive than butter. But anyway, the food looks delicious.

Eva said...

When I looked up the place name, I only found Great Eccleston, without an "e." Is that a different place?

Sandra Ann said...

Hi Eva, it’s the same place so likely a typo on my part! It was lovely to find the old post and we’ve been friends for a very long time eh 🙂🩷. Yep the zipper is taking a while but I don’t mind mindful stitching and my body doesn’t complain neither! Greek yogurt is quite reasonably priced over here, so I don’t mind using it in the odd recipe xx

Eva said...

Ah, I see, it looks like a cute little village. I am glad you are so diligent in finishing that stitching. I would get quite impatient. Good to hear about the affordable Greek yogurt.

doe said...

A delicious latte and a very pretty place. It was fun to see the old post and take a trip down memory lane. Amazing how the years go by. Kudos to you for the mending!