Sunday 22 October 2023

A Quiet Weekend

 Pip started with a flu type virus on Friday.  I don't think it is Covid but we tested today and the result was negative, so will test again on Tuesday as sometimes it can take a few days for the virus to show up on tests.  As a result we've pretty much been homebound, save Dave and I going for our Covid jabs on Saturday morning, followed by purchasing sick day supplies, notably Ginger Beer and Salted Crisps 😊. Pip and I camped out in the designated sick bay last night, AKA the lounge as she wasn't feeling great but we both slept quite well all things considered.

Last night's tea was our go to meal, C-Section recovery stew which I have actually made for a C-Section post partum mum, but we have now dubbed it Covid/Flu Recovery Stew!  It contains carrots, onions, potatoes, tomatoes, mushrooms, turmeric, ginger, chilli, lemon juice, vegetable stock, garlic, lentils and cashew nuts.  It is very nourishing and very warming.  This was followed with home made rice pudding ❤️





Recovery Stew



Rice pudding made with whole milk and butter.  I forgot to add the stevia and it was just fine without any sweetening, you can also add grated lemon rind to the mix too.

Today's lunch was home made pizza and salad followed by pancakes.  I didn't have enough eggs to make our usual batch of pancakes so the pizza was a last minute idea to bulk out the meal.  The dough was a breeze to make with the new mixer and consisted of just self raising flour and milk.  For one person the quantities are 85g of self raising flour, a pinch of salt and 50ml of milk.  I fried onions , peppers and a small amount of chorizo for the toppings. I rolled the dough onto greaseproof paper which made transferring to the oven an easy task, and I part cooked the dough for five minutes before adding the pesto sauce, toppings and a sprinkling of cheese.  The dough was then cooked for a further 8-10 minutes.


Hope you have had a blessed Sunday x 

 

5 comments:

doe said...

Oh! That recovery stew looks amazing . . okay I'm going to have to try that also.Is there a link or did you just wing it? And do you use brown rice for your rice pudding . . lemon rind is definitely a great bonus! Oh, I see now . . it's from the First Forty Days . . I remember you recommending recipes from this book before . . And, yes! It's actually on a shelf in my local branch! I'll have to walk over tomorrow . . !

doe said...

P.S. I hope Pip is doing better . . xoxoxoxoxo

Sandra Ann said...

Have fun making the recipe 🙂. I use actual pudding rice for the recipe which is a short fat white rice, almost similar to arborio.

Eva said...

The stew also looks good. I bet your family is really happy about so much good food.

Lynda said...

The stew looks yummy! I love cashews, but never thought of putting them in a stew :) xx