Monday 9 October 2023

A Birthday Week and Other Random Bits and Bobs 😊

 Just over a week ago Dave celebrated 58 years around the sun.  We had a cake to celebrate on the day and then Mum H came to stay that following weekend:












Mum's visit involved a pancake breakfast, mega scrabble game won by Pip, a spot of garden time (the lawn has been mowed since then!) and a cafe treat at Booths, whereby Dave was treated to a free coffee and cake courtesy of the supermarket since it was his birthday:
















The grandkids are growing up.  Mary loves being a big sister to Ottilie and both of them enjoyed two jaunts this summer; one to a caravan site in the North of the UK, followed by a week of fun in Spain.  It's hard to believe it but Mary starts secondary school next September!



Ollie love his new school which is much more suited to his temperament and is very hands on.  He loves baking day which also involves visiting the local corner shop to buy the ingredients 😊. He is doing really well and is very happy ❤️

Out for a walk in the local woods.




Baking day pizza with a yummy, healthy topping.

Reading still plays a part in my Long Covid Recovery, although I still struggle to remember what I have read and if any review is given that usually involves making notes as I go along! 

 August Reads












My favourite was 'All My Wild Mothers.'  The author shares her story of loss (of which there are many, the death of her sister in a canoeing accident, several miscarriages, her son diagnosed with type one diabetes at a very young age and nursing her mother with cancer right to the very end), grief and hopeful acts of resistance and resilience by planting an apothecary garden full of abundance.

My favourite passage involves her questioning the value of motherhood, from feeling frustrated by her own mother's resignation to domesticity as a young school girl to her own reflections as an older woman with a child of her own.  It is in the reflecting that she sees and values all those quiet acts of sacrifice and small acts of love made by her mother, often unnoticed and hidden from the world but valued beyond measure.

The Kindness Project was also a really lovely read but for the life of me I cannot remember what it was about!  See, if I don't take notes at the time, then whoosh, it's gone from my memory 😂 and no this isn't age or menopause related, I was mentally sharp before Covid hit 🤪


September Reads



A Still Life documents one young woman's journey in a life lived with disability and chronic illness that began in her youth.  Since her conditions are 'invisible' for many years she sadly encountered medical gaslighting which understandably caused much trauma.  In recent years her conditions have gathered a collection of names including PoTS, EDS and ME to name a few.  Despite the labels and their associated restrictions upon her life she determines to spend a year writing and documenting both the good and the bad. 

 As time goes on even in the bad moments glimmers of joy can be found if you look hard enough.  One such glimmer is a chance encounter on Twitter that begins as a sharing of thoughts and soon blossoms into a loving relationship - the only difficulty is that she lives in the UK and her beloved in Denmark! Thus begins a new way of being, daily face time calls at the end of each day and visits back and forth between each country. All in all an uplifting read, especially since most of my days are paced and measured courtesy of an occupational therapy programme.

I'm now ten months post covid today and I have some thoughts on where I am, so hopefully I'll be back soon to share what has been going on ❤️






4 comments:

Eva said...

Happy Birthday, Dave! It looks like good food and a glass of beer? What a neat tankard! Were there any presents? And so wonderful that Mum H came to celebrate.

How old is Mary now? She looks so much like Kathryn, I think. And Ottilie has red hair! How pretty! Did they see Sister Emma in Spain? Ollie's school sounds wonderful.

Thanks also for posting your books. I have to look them up (although I normally have not much time for "pleasure reading"). Do you know the "Hidden Power of Kindness" by Father Lovasik?

It sounds like you are feeling better. My sister is still dealing with post-covid vaccine issues. She had to quit her job because she simply could not do it anymore. So lovely to see you all here!

Eva said...

P.S. Oh, I thought I should mention that I loved to play Scrabble with my grandmother back in Germany :).

Sandra Ann said...

Hi Eva, no physical presents as such but I have it in mind to take Dave to a steam railway for a treat but that requires careful planning and pacing at my end first 🙂. Yes Mary looks like Kath but Ottilie is the image of her dad and he also has red hair like Kath. Mary will be 11 in April 🩷 and they didn’t see Sr Emma as she is in the North of the country whereas they were on one of the islands. Yes, Ollie’s school is just fab and it’s lovely to see how he has blossomed as a result.

Thank you for sharing the Father Lovasik recommendation I have his Catholic Family Handbook, so will see if I can get a copy of the book on kindness. I’m noticing some glimmers in regards to my health but as with all things chronic health recovery is definitely not linear! I’m sorry to read about your sister. Her situation sounds both sad and frustrating in equal measure. I think you mentioned that she was suffering from horrendous migraines as a result of the vaccine. I was a regular migraineur for over 30 years (they only went when I became post menopausal) and they are very very disabling. My heart goes out to her 🩷

Thank you for sharing the memory of your Grandmother, it’s lovely to have memories tucked away xx

Eva said...

He will love an outing like that! Is Kathryn working right now or is she able to stay at home with Ottilie being so little? Ah, too bad that a visit to the north of Spain was not possible.

We have lots of picture books by Father Lovasik and used them so much when all children were little.

Yes, my sister gets migraines and feels run down. She has done everything the doctors have recommended, but it seems not to help.

Yes, I was very close to my grandmother and there are many little episodes of my time with her I will cherish forever.