Sunday 15 October 2023

Saturday Chores and Sunday Knitting

 Yesterday was quite a productive day 😊. I managed to sort the laundry and do a 'swish and swipe' of both bathrooms and since this task is done on a daily basis it did not take long at all.  Ben cleaned his bedroom and then vacuumed the top floor, landing and stairs.  Pip hung out the washing and mopped the upstairs bathroom floor.

Whilst the kids were busy with their chores I prepped the veg for the evening meal and set it to cook on a low heat and also made larger dough balls to see if they would work as a 'bun' alternative.  Once the buns were cooked we served them with sausages.  They were declared a winner by everyone else but I don't do well with a heavy carb meal, it makes the PoTS symptoms worse, so I gave half of mine for Dave and Pip to share. 

 I'm hoping I can tweak the recipe by adding either some ground almond or even polenta to make the dough less heavy.  I miss being able to eat regular gluten free bread because of the additives and yeast content and a lot of the non yeast bread mixes contain heaps of egg white which also contains histamine, so a big no at this end.



I had my usual planned rest and rosary prayers after lunch followed by a spot of knitting.  Soon it was time to head out the door for church and Ben was left in charge of overseeing the casserole and adding last minute fixings in time for our arrival home around 7pm.

Roasted veg and mozzarella topping served with corn on the cob, yummy!

Since Dave's birthday a few weeks ago we have begun a Sunday tradition of pancakes for lunch and since I prepared the batter last night before bed, they were pretty quick to make.  Considering I had done more than I usually would yesterday, I made sure to factor in minimal activity today.  This morning I read some of my book and this afternoon knitting was the order of the day:


No shawl this time, it is a sleeveless jumper in a soft grey.  Most of the pattern is in simple stocking stitch with an easy pattern detail across the upper part of the garment.

Hope your weekend has been all that you needed it to be ❤️

5 comments:

Kezzie said...

The bun with sausage looks yummy! Sorry you can't get your bread fix- I'd find that super hard . The veg and mozarella looks delicious! Well done on the cleaning! My house is a meeeeeeeeeeeesss (and really needs a clean!) x

doe said...

Oohh I love grey :) Your jumper will be beautiful! I hear you about the wheat and yeast. I often serve sausages with just polenta as it's so good and much easier on the digestion for me. Are you able to do parmesan cheese? I sometimes add that to the polenta. I love hearing about your cleaning team :) I miss straightening up all together . . everyone used to take a room or corner and go to work. I've also found that a swish and swipe in the bathroom each day makes cleaning easier (I read that on Fly Lady awhile ago). However, the shower tiles are another story . . especially in the hot and humid summertime. I need to re-grout and re-cauke. I've been saying that since spring! Lots of love to you San xoxo

Eva said...

Your cleaning sounds like ours! Way to go, San! Oh, and Dorina, I also miss the cleaning days with all children. They were so much fun! Right now I do have three cleaners home (Charlotte, Veronika, Flora), but it is not the same. We do a mini daily cleaning in the bathrooms and also sweep the kitchen daily. Flora sweeps under the dining-area table once a day and we vacuum the rug at the entrance door and in the living-room daily as well.

Would a bread recipe with eggs (and not just egg whites) work? I do have a gluten-free Irish soda bread recipe like that.

Your knitting looks lovely. And you went to church! We eat pancakes for breakfast on Saturdays. I used to make them, but Peter has been taking over that ritual now for many years. We bake them in the oven because that is much easier for many people.

Sandra Ann said...

Hi Kezzie, thanks for popping by 🙂. I can recommend Fly Lady or The Organised Mum Method if you are overwhelmed in the cleaning department. With all the long hours you work, plus commuting time and unpredictable transport issues it’s a miracle you manage to cook a meal at the end of the day! Sending hugs to you xx

Hi Dorina, thanks for the heads up about polenta that’s a genius idea!! We could have it cooked as is or cornbread would be a lighter option too 🩷

Hi Eva, I think we’ve made mass consistently for the last eight weeks - I’ve lost count! We love our Sunday pancakes but I might make waffles instead this weekend forthcoming 🙂. Like you we keep on top with daily tasks - The Organised Mum Method is great for breaking things down and Saturdays are a catch all for any outstanding jobs. Thanks for the reminder about soda bread too, I have a river cottage recipe for that xx

Eva said...

Wonderful that you have been to Mass regularly again. And good luck with the baking.