Friday 13 October 2023

Home Grown Harvest

 I was given some free seeds from a permaculture friend and the winter squash was very successful.  I harvested this one a few days ago and decided to add it to our evening meal.  We had broccoli, squash and pasta carbonara with home made gluten free dough balls.  The meal was really lovely and the dough balls were a real hit but blimey there was a lot of 'plate spinning' when it came to the timings, and being upright for that length of time, even though I was sat on the perching stool was not great 🙄. So although I would not make that particular meal in its entirety again, the dough balls will definitely be in future meal combination ❤️










5 comments:

Eva said...

Ah, is that the squash that was growing a few weeks ago? It got quite big! Does it taste like a butternut squash? What are dough balls? I am glad you got a yummy meal out of it, despite having to be on your feet for such a long time!

Sandra Ann said...

Yes it was one of the runaway squashes from the front garden! I gave the smaller one to Dave’s mum 🙂. Yes it does taste like a regular squash as in very little taste! Dough balls are a quick non yeast version of a bun, well that’s my opinion. Last night’s dough balls had onion salt in them to make them savoury but I thought I’d try a ‘sweet’ version and add maybe vanilla to the dough instead. I still cannot tolerate anything with yeast especially now as it activates an MCAS response 😕 x

Eva said...

Ah, so a bit watery? Do you boil the dough balls or bake them? What is MCAS?

Sandra Ann said...

The dough balls are baked in a 200C oven for ten minutes. MCAS is short for Mast Cell Activation Syndrome and essentially my body since having Covid doesn’t tolerate histamine in foods and also reacts to chemicals in the environment. Even though I take a high dose of a daily histamine I can still get a reaction and usually my face and neck will suddenly turn bright red and my heart will start racing. Chemical smells (even though they don’t smell bad as in a carpet shampoo) will cause nausea and a headache. MCAS and PoTS are linked with Long Covid x

Eva said...

Thanks so much, San. I am not very good with medical terminology in English. The symptoms do not sound pleasant.