Thursday 2 February 2023

February Already?!!

 Must admit I’m glad to see the back of January. It has been another month of me mainly on the sofa šŸ™„. My heart rate is reasonably steady if I do very little which makes daily living a bit of a challenge šŸ¤Ŗ. Other post covid problems have appeared such as terrible abdominal pain which has thankfully eased due to a low FODMAP diet, the effect was almost instantaneous ie within 24 hours, Praise God!  I have an appointment with our nutritionist as I’m sure there’ll be some additional supplementation needed for the time being.

The swollen glands have been constant but the scratchy throat and vocal changes occur the more fatigued that I become.  Alongside that is the headaches, word finding problems (calling the washing machine the fridge šŸ˜‚)and inability to complete a sentence or deal with conversations.

I’ve been using the permaculture principle of observe and interact and have kept a bio time diary since the start of the month tracking heart rate variability, symptoms, sleep, food and drink and any activities either physical or mental.  If I sit down to make a meal and wash a few pots then I am wiped out for several hours afterwards.  

Despite all of this we are bumbling along reasonably well and I know for sure that things could be a whole heap worse!!  I think I’ll try and pop by over here a bit more regularly and post a snippet of daily life in the mundane šŸ™‚

Here are some pics from my phone, which I’m also using to write this blog whilst lying down:



Dave and I managed a short outing to a nearby cafe on Saturday, the first non medical outing in nine weeks.


My brother’s school yesterday was closed due to the strikes so part of his day was spent in the kitchen making this yummy concoction ❤️



My symptom log lay out that is helping track what is going on šŸ‘šŸ»


The lovely Milton ‘helping’ in the kitchen šŸ˜»



Poppy resting on my legs whilst I had a much needed lie down yesterday afternoon ❤️



Ollie was tasked with making a dinosaur den as part of his ‘homework’ so he devised this elaborate structure on Minecraft- he’ll be five in March.  Mum and Dad have printed his efforts and stuck the design in his book.  Well done Ollie šŸ™‚


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry to read that you are still experiencing so many difficult symptoms- but you write with grace and flair, and I imagine that you also try to rise above life’s difficulties with these attributes as well( and prayer of course)
I wished I lived b
nearer as I would love to be able to help

My husband has had three unplanned admissions in a month, and has gone from collapsing at home and being rushed in ( I thought I was losing him at that point), to currently making lunch in the kitchen , and reminding me that whilst he is dying he is not dead yet . We both struggled with Tony being is hospital - and I was thinking of you and the time when Dave had to be away from home for so
long -
how did you manage ?
I hope you have more great days , and get to go out and enjoy what can feel
like a little thing ( coffee in a cafe) but which is actually a big achievement and something to be celebrated
Siobhan xx

Sandra Ann said...

Thank you for stopping by Siobhan, you’ve been on my mind and heart and I was wondering how you were both doing ❤️. Having lived with chronic illness since 1992 I guess you could say I’m used to the territory so it’s less of a shock for me than others who have been fully active; my world fell apart in 1992 and over time I’ve become used to varying levels of functionality šŸ˜‚

When Dave was in Sue Ryder we were very lucky that his mum was part of our bubble and she stayed with us for four days each week for the first five weeks - the kids needed and appreciated another adult being around (and me too!) and it also meant I had time alone to deal with the admin jobs previously done by Dave. After that point we were used to our new rhythm and things became easier šŸ™‚

The coffee treat (even if it did contribute to a dip) was totally worth it ❤️
Sending love, prayers and hugs to you xx

Eva said...

So nice you could have a "date" together! Milton and Poppy are so cute. Ollie did a wonderful job. I hope you feel better soon! Maybe some new supplements will help. Love to all!

P.S. Did you get our Christmas present and letter?

Sandra Ann said...

Hi Eva, yes thank you for the presents and the letter. The bag holds all my knitting notions and the bookmarks are much appreciated and used. The Christmas newsletter from Peter is always appreciated and never fails to raise a chuckle or two at this end šŸ¤£ xx

sustainablemum said...

Oh San that sounds incredibly hard. I cannot begin to imagine how life is for you right now. It makes me feel so blessed to have my health. I do hope the appointment with the nutritionist was useful, I am so glad to hear that 24 hours of changing you diet helped your abdominal pain, as someone who has experienced that I feel your relief. Sending love xx

Eva said...

I am so happy you got it! I have been tracking presents to Europe, especially Germany: one still has not arrived, but one of my brothers got a note that he is to report to the post office for a package (that is highly unusual!). I hope that means my package finally arrived. So I was wondering if the British things had arrived.

I had to smile at your mixing up words: When I am in a hurry, I always call the phone (land line) "radio" and vice versa :). No idea, why! Mine has nothing to do with Covid.

Have a wonderful Sunday! We are all following the news about that "Chinese balloon."

elli said...

Oh gosh, San, I'm so sorry it's all still so challenging. Long covid scares me the most about getting it, to be frank! (My son and I have yet to be felled, isolated as we are, due to our already compromised health). ... I have been low/no FODMAP since 2016! Makes all the difference, to be sure! (There is actually only a small list of foods I can safely eat. But they are from the low/no fodmap list.) ... continuing to pray for you, sent wafting across the waters ....šŸ•ŠšŸ™šŸ½šŸ’™

BLD in MT said...

I shall continue to think of you and send my best for your health. All the best!

I quite enjoy "a snippet of daily life in the mundane" that the blogosphere brings me from near and far. So much of life could be called such, which makes it interesting to me! I'm glad you felt up to it.

Soak up the cat cuddles! That is good medicine. <3

Take care!