Thursday 23 February 2023

Cats and Cooking

Thankfully I had my phone to hand when I snapped this image of Milton and Poppy:


One cat out and the other cat in πŸ˜‚


We had our Sainsbury delivery today and the guy remarked on our shopping order definitely being on the healthy end with all the veggies and fruit stacked in the crates.  I'm really grateful for the doorstep deliveries as a supermarket shop would probably finish me off right now.  However there was still a lot of to and fro on my behalf, as the big larder fridge from the old house is in my outside room and it did need a good wipe down before loading with all the goodies.  I earned my sit down once that job was tackled.

For lunch we had spaghetti bolognese and there were clean plates all round:

The ever growing chaotic table πŸ˜‚


Good ol' Spag Bol

After lunch I had a Whats App video catch up with my mum and a lovely chat with Eva all the way over in New York State!  It was Eva's birthday on Monday and normally I try and send a hand made gift but there hasn't been much crafting going on since Covid.  I had originally wanted to send her a Barnes and Noble gift card but since I don't live in a country linked to their store it was a no go so Amazon it was πŸ™„. At the moment they are dealing with an ice storm and possible power outages should things worsen, but so far so good.  It was lovely to surprise her with a phone call, she is a very dear friend ❤️

After my afternoon sit down it was back in the kitchen again for tea duty - stuffed baked potatoes, salad and the Christmas Mincemeat Flapjack originally intended for Candlemas Day.  Since we don't eat a great deal of sugar I used stevia in the recipe and quartered the amount and instead of golden syrup used maple syrup.  I also reduced the amount of oats and substituted 1/3 cornflakes instead.  Needless to say the flapjack was more crumbly than normal probably due to the significantly reduced sugar content but despite that it was very tasty.





All in all a really lovely day 😊


 

7 comments:

sustainablemum said...

Your flapjack looks lovely San, I use a recipe with lots of butter (can't remember if you guys eat dairy) and honey it sticks together well but only if I cook it enough. It has to be quite dark before it is done otherwise it is crumbly, I love to eat the crumbly bits with yogurt.

Your dining table looks like ours most days, the heart of the home xxx

Anonymous said...

I am in awe of how much you fit into a day, whilst also studying, home educating, keeping house, looking after your family, looking after yourself and still making home cooked food
Amazing
Tonight I had Pringles for my supper
Siobhan x

Eva said...

It was so nice to talk to you, San! And I will put your gift card to good use. And now I can see a picture of your spaghetti :). I did not take a picture of my meal. Your flapjacks look good. Peter loves flapjacks and will miss them here. He is in New Jersey right now, waiting for his flight to Buffalo. He will come home in the middle of the night. A professor friend will pick him up. At least it has stopped snowing for now and the roads seem to be okay. I love those cats and miss ours . . . Great job with the fridge. I have been cleaning out kitchen cabinets and drawers lately, one each day. Love to all of you!

P.S. And don't worry about that table :).

Sandra Ann said...

Hi S thanks for the flapjack trick I’ll definitely give that a go next time I make some πŸ™‚

Siobhan if I was in your situation I’d definitely be eating Pringles ❤️

Eva it was so lovely to chat with you. I’m glad that Peter is on his way home and yay for you all that Spring break starts next week πŸ™‚

BLD in MT said...

I love the active living vibes of your table. The bits and pieces of learning, growing, making, reading, eating, sharing and on and on.

Glad to hear you had a lovely day. And now I'm putting spag bol on the menu this week. :)

Eva said...

Charlotte is coming home tomorrow and Miriam on Saturday. We will do a homeschool break next week, but the college will start up again.

Kezzie said...

Ooh, those potatoes look scrumptious!!! Spag Bol is my favourite!x