Friday 4 December 2015

Looking for joy :: DPP Day 3 and 4

I was hugged by God yesterday :-) 


 Despite the sorrow and madness in the world I was blessed to meet a fellow kindred spirit.  We met as strangers and parted as friends :-)

  I had just finished my cup of tea at a local-ish garden centre and was on my way out when I was intrigued by this lady tapping an enormous urn.  I looked at her and she looked at me, she was ringing the pot to check for cracks.  The conversation flowed, both she and her husband are potters, we talked about the perils of making an income in the handmade market, shared about our concerns regarding the bombing of Syria and talked about the need for prayer.   We hugged and shared Instagram details and it was only when she handed me her business card, I realised that I knew of her!!   Geraldine and I are part of Pen's blogging network and Geraldine blogs over at the potter's house 



 Not one of my best photographs but that picture will be forever etched in my mind and heart.

Today's story is about our yearly jaunt for a holiday treat and a staggering trip down memory lane :-) 

 Dave had a dreaded welfare medical this morning but we had an answer to prayer and the assessor was a very understanding and knowledgeable Occupational Therapist.  Once the meeting was over, we headed into town to purchase some items for our Advent Wreath and some gifts for family members.  Our final stop was a well known coffee place for a gingerbread latte and a cinnamon swirl.





  As much as we love our two youngest it is really great to have some head space and actually begin and finish a conversation without being interrupted!  Our ponderings led us to conclude that the last time I was in town Christmas shopping was when I was pregnant with Pip seven years ago!  And the last time Dave and I went Christmas shopping together was in 1993!!!!  Chronic sickness and disability on my part meant that catalogue shopping and then latterly internet was the only way forward.  As my health slowly improved, Dave at that point was once more working full time and so the present buying was pretty much my domain.  Funny how time flies, eh?!!

 
This evening we managed to finally make our Advent Wreath.  Pip and I made the wreath and Dave rolled the beeswax candles.  I think it turned out pretty good and I'm looking forward to seeing it lit on Sunday :-)


 The last candle in the making.


 Aligning the wick.


 On a roll ~ couldn't resist :-)


A Ta-Dah Moment!

Advent Blessings x


 

13 comments:

Eva said...

Beautiful, San! Why is there an extra candle in the middle? For Christmas? So nice the welfare meeting went well. You know, we also do not go Christmas shopping, simply because there are no stores around. The only place to do some Christmas shopping is the Christmas market the college holds. So you are not alone in that. By the way, is it a custom to have three purple candles and one pink candle in England? We don't do that in Germany, so I was wondering. People in the U.S. do it, though.

Sandra Ann said...

Yes the candle in the middle is for Christmas Day, the pink candle is for Gaudete Sunday ( 3rd Sunday) and the purple ties in with the liturgical colour for the season.

Eva said...

Yes, I know about how the purple and pink ones are divided up because people do it here too, but is that typical for Great Britain?

Sandra Ann said...

I think it is if you have a faith back ground otherwise red candles are used throughout. Also most folk hang a wreath on their front door rather than have a table decoration x

Eva said...

Interesting, especially about the door. There are no candles on the door wreath, right? Some people have purple candles for advent wreaths in Germany, but most people don't. And Germans do not have a pink candle. The Catholic churches in Germany do have purple candles, but not always, I think, but again, no pink candle. I wonder how this all developed. I am not sure about the protestant churches in Germany, I never paid that much attention.

sustainablemum said...

So glad you managed to get an appointment locally, I am sorry it was awful hope the outcome of the meeting is good tho'? Your wreath is beautiful.

elli said...

What is a 'welfare medical'?

Here in the US Episcopal Church blue candles are used for Advent (we're Episcopalians) -- do you know what the Anglican Church uses? (I should know that, being a member of the Anglican Communion, but I can't recall!), and white for Christmas, and it is the Catholic Church that has the purple and pink .... Here at home, to be honest, I use what colors I can find!! Inexpensively, and easily! :-) This year they are cream colored .... Sometimes they are a funny mix, one year I recall they were odd ends of candles, red and pink and green, what I had leftover, as there was no money for a fresh set :-)

Sandra Ann said...

No candles on the door wreaths :-). Don't know how the custom if the pink candle came about will have to investigate :-)

Sandra Ann said...

Blue candles sound lovely they remind me of Our Lady! Good job the Lord doesn't mind about the candles!! Traditions and cultures are interesting though but in reality it is the spark in our own hearts that matter :-) xx

Sandra Ann said...

The meeting was OK I think and the treat in town was a deserved reward xx

Sandra Ann said...

Welfare medical is when you are in receipt of financial assistance from the government as a result of a sickness or disability. So the medical was to prove that Dave is as disabled as he is :-). Of course they could have just read the thorough report from the neurologist outlining his deterioration :-). Ah, well keeping the admin and government machines in business I guess :-) x

elli said...

I see yes. I am on government disability too (which means a monthly stipend plus health insurance). The asessments to qualify were a real bear -- I was denied the year after the brain tumor, and then approved this year, five years on .... I think there is a recheck to confirm nothing has improved, in a few years?? (My brain is fuzzy today and I can't remember!) but they have declared me 'permanently disabled' so there shouldn't be too much trouble over it in the years to come...

Re: the candles, yes! The blue is for Mary, and seeing Advent as anticipatory of Christ's coming .... I love the traditions but no, I'm sure God doesn't mind what sort of candles if any! {{hugs}}

dorinalouise said...

Your advent wreath is gorgeous! I never knew about the candle colors. That's fun and interesting.

Thank goodness the welfare medical went well! You could really enjoy the delicious treat then :) Yes, time goes by much too fast!

I send all of you much love!