Friday 7 July 2023

More Snapshots

 I had hoped to pop by more regularly but screens are still an issue and by the time I have the headspace to think it's often too late, but hey it's a Friday night so we'll go with the flow ๐Ÿ˜





The Reading List was a surprise find at my local library - it was located on one of the end aisles.  The front cover initially caught my eye and when I read the blurb my curiosity was sparked.  I'm so glad this book came home with me.  A truly wonderful, heart warming and yet at times quite sobering well written book.

The story is centred around an anonymous reading list - To Kill a Mockingbird, Rebecca, The Kite Runner, The Life of Pi, Pride and Prejudice, Little Women, Beautiful and a Suitable Boy.  The list brings together two unlikely souls, Mukesh and Aleisha.

Aleisha is a bright but anxious teenager, spending her summer break working at the local library that is under constant threat of closure.  She finds the crumpled reading list and sets herself the challenge of every title contained therein.  As she works her way through the list she recognises life lessons and nuggets of wisdom that are applicable to her own life, and the magic within the pages transport her away (albeit briefly) from the painful realities of home.

Mukesh, a widower living a quiet life in the London Borough of Ealing, spends his days in front of nature documentaries interspersed with visits from his daughters and grandkids and occasional visits to the temple.  His teenage granddaughter Priya always has her nose in a book, just like his beloved late wife.  In an attempt to enrich his relationship with Priya he tentatively crosses the threshold of the library doors.

The initial meeting between Mueksh and Aleisha is quite strained, him over anxious in a strange place and her frustrated and bored with life, and so she comes across as being quite rude.  Realising the error in her ways, Aleisha attempts to make amends and shares the reading list with Mukesh, and soon they are discussing plot lines, characters and their own interpretation of each book.  Before too long a beautiful friendship is formed.


This book was a birthday gift from Kath and it was so good I read it in two days.  During a clear out of her mother's home the author finds a book entitled 'A Fortunate Man' which documented a country GP at the beginnings of the NHS.  Upon closer inspection she realises that this book is in fact based on a the valley where she lives, and so she makes contact with the current GP in that same area (during the height of the pandemic and all that entailed) and so 'A Fortunate Woman' is brought into being.

The author skilfully weaves tales from the past into those of the present, and the GP herself walks the thin line between professional, care giver and friend.  Patient confidentiality is paramount so the stories and accounts are an overview of GP life.  Reading the book gave me a new appreciation for the work of the General Practitioner and made me appreciate further, and be thankful for the excellent GP care that I have had over the years.  Some books are for keeping and others are for sharing, so I gifted this book to my wonderful GP (another country doctor) and she in turn will share with her colleagues ๐Ÿ˜Š



I'm still plodding my way through the permaculture course, it is certainly taking a lot longer than anticipated!  Some days my cognitive function is reasonable and other days its on a go slow, so no chance of planning it's a case of doing what I can when I can ๐ŸŒฟ


Thirteen figs on the tree ๐ŸŒฟ



A mini plant guild of tomatoes, chives and flowers.



Winter Jasmine


Guns n Roses at Glastonbury



I joined in with some chronically ill pals to watch the Glastonbury Festival - my Pyjama bottoms were my version of festival pants and you cannot attend a festival without either wellies or Crocs!  Thankfully no worries about finding the loos or the state of them ๐Ÿ˜‚





Pip and Beth had their yearly fairy day last Saturday - later than normal due to other things going on around the Summer Solstice.  They had fun at the crazy golf at Barton Grange Flower Bowl and Dave and I sat in the cafe whilst they did their thing.  It's hard to believe but we've been running a yearly fairy get together for nine years ❤️


In car knitting - I finally have some knitting ability, yay!  It started with my Long Covid socks, the first finished before I got sick in a matter of days and the second took five months to complete, it was frogged back several times over ๐Ÿ˜ณ. I kept making the simplest of mistakes.  I was so glad when they were off the needles!



This was my view on Wednesday morning as I'm back doing PA work for Ben.  Driving is still an issues for me so it was easier to stay on site and the chap he was working for very kindly kept me topped up with cups of tea.

As far as Covid is concerned I'm still dealing with dysautonomia issues and have resorted to medication on top of other things to try and keep things under check.  I had a lovely virtual appointment with the Occupational Therapist attached to the Long Covid clinic and she has given me a few simple things to do before our next appointment.

Sorry for the long ramble, its no good I'm going to have to pop by more regularly x 




7 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's great to hear from you San! I am intrigued by all your books! The fairy meet sounds fun!
What is Ben doing now? I'm intrigued what PA duties you are doing?
Your socks are great! Xx

Sandra Ann said...

Hi Siobhan, if you want to read about previous fairy days you can click on fairy party on the side bar and see what we have got up to in the past. Ben is doing joinery work but at the present hasn’t learned to drive a car, he does however have a meeting with a driving instructor next week ๐Ÿ™‚. So I drive him to jobs, help with planning his work diary and supporting with sending invoices and emails. Ben is dyslexic so appreciates extra listening support and checking emails before sending either from myself or Dave. I hope you are managing as best as possible and that you have a support network nearby xx

Anonymous said...

Hi San
The first comment wasn’t from me , but lovely to hear an update from you . You are so courageous- I admire how you navigate the challenges in life, whilst maintaining such an amazing outlook on life
Days are very difficult for me
I miss my darling Tony so much
Friends are so kind and attentive, but it’s his company I seek
It never occurred to me that To y would die first , and I am finding life without him hard to sustain
It’s 25 weeks today
Siobhan xx

Sandra Ann said...

Sorry Siobhan, I saw the anonymous comment and immediately thought if you ❤️. Both our mums miss the dads but from what has been shared it does get a little easier as time goes by - the sadness and missing the other person never goes but somehow it becomes more bearable if that makes sense? And I’m not forgetting that both Dad’s were 80 when they died, a far cry from the young age of your Tony and I have no doubt you must still be in a state of shock from it all. Sending much love to you xxx

Eva said...

The "Reading List" sounds like a good book. I wish I had more time to read . . . How long is it? Your knitting looks wonderful, in spite of all the setbacks. What is PA work?

Sandra Ann said...

Hi Eva, personal assistant as in helping Ben undertake employment whilst trying to support him with any medical and organisational needs as well as driving him to work - he often works in remote areas and carries a lot of kit so a bus journey is out of the question. He is in the process of beginning driving lessons but the last few sessions have been cancelled due to issues at the driving school. He will get there in the end but it will just take time ๐Ÿ™‚

Eva said...

Ah, I see! It took Miriam over a year to finally get her license. We don't have driving schools in this area (the schools teach it, though, I think). So the parents have to do it, but it is so hard to find time to go out driving. Can parents teach driving in the UK?