Saturday 8 July 2023

Tea Time Treats and Mindful Making

 Two posts in two days, that's a record!!  In between Pip finishing for the school year and everyday life stuff we've managed some local cafe stops - they break up the monotony of an otherwise 'ground hog day' life.


Pip and Dave frequently travel into the village for a Booths cafe stop, shopping and library visit.  Dave buy the Independent Newspaper and he reads the main part whilst Pip tackles the puzzles.




On one particularly hot day we drove eight minutes down the road to Barton Grange and enjoyed tea and ice creams.  I know that might seem a weird combination but it was utterly delicious ❤️









I've been fortunate enough to take part in an eight week course "mindfulness for stress" which is organised by the breath works foundation, and they also run the mindfulness for health one too.  Last week's homework was based on acts of kindful-ness towards oneself - to undertake activities that bring about contentment and peace, and the library book, 'The Mindful Maker' drew my eye.

I really enjoyed trying out the Japanese technique of visible mending known as Boro stitching.  I have a pair of boyfriend jeans that are super comfortable but the factory made holes were proving to be too draughty ๐Ÿ˜‚. Placing a patch behind and stitching over the top has lengthened the life span of the jeans, and I'm hoping over time to add more decorative patches.  I used the net and spiral permaculture designs to remind me of the interconnections I've made through the web and that abundance can occur in the smallest of spaces - the Winter. Jasmine in the garden is living proof of this.

The simple act of repairing incorporates the 'produce no waste' permaculture principle as well as the people care (my wellbeing) and earth care permaculture ethics.  It also means I can avoid the shops for a while longer, as I cannot abide clothes shopping at the best of times, let alone doing so in my current health state ๐Ÿ˜‚. 

6 comments:

Eva said...

How sweet to know that Pip and Dave are having a "date." What type of ice cream was that? I mean, there is ice coffee, so why not tea and ice cream? And you mending looks great; now your jeans look like those designer jeans in fancy stores. I saw a pair in Vienna when we were there with students and that pair cost 700 euros!

Blessings on your Sunday!

Angela said...

I darned the holes in my jeans* with a Speedweave Gadget, using different coloured embroidery yarns.
Clare Young writes fabulous craft books, always well Illustrated with clear instructions. I've borrowed many from the library, and family have subsequently bought me some as gifts.
*actually they were passed onto me by my daughter - and I felt I was too old to wear holey jeans!
Have a blessed Sunday

Sandra Ann said...

Hi Eva, we had two different flavours, toffee fudge and raspberry ripple with white chocolate, utterly delicious ๐Ÿ™‚. I was really pleased to be able to extend the life of my jeans, especially since I read somewhere that stone washed and ‘holey’ jeans use way more water and labour in their manufacture, as opposed to regular jeans ๐Ÿ™„. Happy Sunday to you too xx

Hi Angela, thanks for sharing about the speed weave gadget, I’ve never heard of it, so now off to do a Google search ๐Ÿ™‚. The mindful making book is just lovely and even Pip has seen a project or two that has sparked some interest. I’ve been admiring your cosplay handiwork over on Kezzie’s blog ❤️

Eva said...

That's crazy about the higher cost!⁶

Elli said...

Dear San, I am so hoping that you are having a good week, without too much that is draining. Long covid sounds just awful. I am so sorry you are contending with it, and I hold you in my daily prayers, of course! Wanted to let you know as well that I've shifted blog addresses ... ๐Ÿ™๐Ÿฝ๐Ÿค—... Elli (prev. Penelope) ... patmosscriptorium.blogspot.com

doe said...

Korrina has been attempting visible mending too. Congrats to Pip for finishing her school year.
Ice cream and tea sounds delish :) and how fun for Pip and Dave xoxoxo