Friday 21 July 2023

Making Things

 That scrunched up piece of knitting became this:



Its official title is 'Quiet Journey' but I've renamed it The Hope Shawl.  I made it for my Instagram friend Fran who has Long Covid, I shared her story and photo here a few posts back.  She is now suffering from very severe ME as a result of that Covid infection and has been bedridden since December - even opening her eyes for more than a few moments causes severe concussion like symptoms and vertigo.  I knit love and prayers into that shawl and my hope is that some day soon she will be well enough to sit up in bed and eventually be out and about in her wheelchair.


Pip has also been busy making a 'thing'












We have had the decorator in this week.  Both of the kids bedrooms are being decorated and Ben was first on the list.  He has chosen a grey, black, check/stripe theme for his room and Pip enjoyed making his new bedside table.  She had no help from an adult, read the IKEA instruction booklet and got on with the task at hand.  

All construction work was done with this in the background:


The Women's World Cup 2023, hosted by Australia and New Zealand.  This match was Spain versus Costa Rica and Pip was over the moon that Spain won 😊. I think it's safe to say that it will be back to back footy for the next few weeks!



8 comments:

Angela said...

We've just splurged on IKEA Malm units for our bedroom, replacing the scratched and shabby Habitat drawers, half a century old, and 2nd hand when we got them in 1985. The instructions are fine if you follow them as laid out - we too are pleased with our new stuff, The shawl is lovely, what a kind gesture for a friend who needs loving arms wrapped around her right now.
Have a blessed weekend

elli said...

The shawl is really lovely, San. Gorgeous colorway🤗

My son and I have managed to watch one match so far 😂we'll see how it goes!

xox

Eva said...

Ah, the pattern of your shawl looks like the one you made for me! So pretty! And Pip did a great job. Did you have a decorator from Ikea come by? I hope your friend's health will improve soon. You don't hear much about Long Covid in this country. In fact, you might think here that Covid never existed because nobody talks about it anymore.

doe said...

Great job Pip, with the Ikea dresser! Chanda enjoys putting Ikea pieces together also. I hope you post some pics of the rooms when they are done! It sounds lovely. Hooray for Spain winning! Your shawl is exquisite San, and beautiful to be filled with so much hope and prayers. Your friend will be wrapped in warmth and love. xoxo

Lynda said...

The shawl is beautiful! I'm sure your friend will cherish it.
Great building skills Pip!! xx

Sandra Ann said...

Our decorator is a local chap and very good. Once the furniture building is complete I will definitely post some pictures - I should have done a before 🙄 I think some countries have stopped talking about Long COVID because they don’t want to acknowledge the impact it has had on folk and continues to do so with every repeated infection. And then we have complete loons like Robbie Williams ( British singer and ex take that boy band member) declaring that his need to sit down in concerts is due to Long COVID and then declaring months later it was all lie - he didn’t want to admit he was struggling to keep up the pace. I must admit I didn’t buy the lie and suspected he was joking - he’s notorious for doing so. A lot of folk are justifiably angry with him right now.

Anonymous said...

You have all been working so hard - you seem such an emotionally intelligent family ( a big complement in my book ) and inspiring how you carry on when life is a challenge - and you have much more than your “ fair share” - a topic I discussed with my Parish Priest recently .

The shawl, as others have said looks beautiful- a real talent . I tried knitting a shawl for my eldest nephew - it’s about 2 rows now and he is 38 in November !
Siobhan x

Eva said...

I think Americans like to move on and not dwell on things that happened in the past, even though it might influence one's health or life. I sometimes wonder about that attitude, but it applies to all parts of life here, even death. This is so different from people in Germany, who sometimes dwell too much on past events. I have never heard of Robbie Williams, but that was a faux pas.