Wednesday 22 April 2020

Scrabble Spelling, Scintillating Stone Age and a Scottish Shoogle!

It has been a bit busier than usual in the home school classroom, largely due to me actually having the time to plan some lessons!!  We had fun using the scrabble tiles as a way of reinforcing our weekly spellings; Pip definitely responded to the kinesthetic and visual form of learning.

You can just see Poppy 'on guard' at the front room window! 


 No paparazzi, it's a Monday morning and I'm already on my third mug of coffee!

I found an old Grade 6 Oak Meadow curriculum that we had begun using with Ben many moons ago and decided to put it to good use with Pip.  The overall theme is Ancient History and so we begin with the Stone Age.

This morning we watched a really interesting Youtube video about cave art and the cave in question was situated in Cantabria, Northen Spain, not far from Em.  We were also challenged to take a nature walk and try and find as many edible plants as possible.  We walked down Stone Lane which is a five minute walk from our house and enjoyed the fresh air and blue skies even though it was a very cold and blustery day.  The only edible plants that we could identify was nettle and dandelion, although we suspect that one of the flowers might be a wild garlic?








 Hand knitted rabbits



















BBC Bitesize have also started online lessons this week and we joined in with the English lessons and even I learned about Modal verbs!! We also watched the daily science show courtesy of the Glasgow Science Centre and our subject for the day was Newton's Laws of motion:


 The chap fronting the experiments was fab and when one of them went hilariously wrong he said, " I'll just give it a wee shoogle!"  Pip, Ben and I were howling with laughter at this point but at the same time my memory was jogged.

When Mary Grace was born she was struggling due to swallowing amniotic fluid and whilst the staff were busy with Kathryn a Scottish midwife handed her to me and said, " C'mon Grandma you need to give her a wee shoogle!"  Meaning have her upright and jiggle her a little so that she can bring up the fluid.  It was lovely to hear that word and have that precious memory come flooding back.

Yesterday and today have been very similar in our rhythm, of main lessons in the morning and practical activities and a walk/ football in the afternoon:


Ben has been busy again in the kitchen and last night cooked a really delicious chicken and vegetable curry with home made onion bhajis:






We are half way through the week and on the home straight for the weekend.  When Em and Kath were small and Dave worked away during the week Wednesday was my favourite day; I'd made it through the week and only two days untill Daddy was home :-)  

Happy Hump Day!





7 comments:

doe said...

Happy Hump Day !

Oh my goodness, that Glasgow Science Center was funny. I really wanted to see that cannon explode . . ! And I learned a new word: shoogle. That was a nice memory, Grandma xoxo Love to all of you . . xoxo, Dorina

doe said...

P.S. I always enjoy playing scrabble, though Chanda enjoys bananagrams more . . Ben's dinner looked fab!

sustainablemum said...

That does indeed look like a wild garlic flower, the wide leaf in the background looks right too. If you were to pick the leaf you would be able to smell it too!

Sandra Ann said...

I was thinking about buying bananagrams as another word game.

I thought it was garlic because of the leaves but when i smelt them i couldn't smell the garlic maybe because it was only a small patch? I know that when we go to Holker the wild garlic is in abundance and you can smell it before you see it! Thanks for stopping by, I was thinking of you this morning and wondered how you were doing x

elli said...

Sounds like really lovely Lesson Days are happening🤗📖 ... I am slowly pecking (typing)away at a 'daily doings, C19’ post but who knows when I'll have it up! 😛

Peace and prayers to you!

Eva said...

I liked your alliterations in your post title:). Great you found some Oak Meadow stuff to use. Shoogle is related to the German "schaukeln." There are several Scottish words which have German counterparts. I always thought that this was funny.

Kezzie said...

That looks like Wild Garlic to me. The test is to take a bit of the leaf off and pinch it between your fingers. Only WIld Garlic smells like Garlic. You should have picked some- it's delicious!!!
Hello Yellow Raincoat crew! We can be in the same club!
By the way, I thought I'd share this brilliant link I have been using:
https://leicestershiremusichub.org/prim-music-tech has loads of amazing music tech programs which are great for composing and making music! I've got some lessons this week on my school music blog which show how to use them and ideas for what to do with them (if you wanted to use them for Pip at all. If you just google the three words Music then at then Chadwell (I am trying to avoid this coming up in the search terms without the thens, it should take you to it.)