Wednesday 6 May 2020

Manic But No Panic

Last Wednesday was a peculiar day and slap bang in the middle of all sorts of things going awry my email informed me of a sale in my Folksy shop!  Cue scrabbling around for wrapping and posting items, a quick lesson in how to make your own business cards and organising drop and go postage.  The item arrived on Monday and that very evening the lady in question (who lives on the Isle of Wight) texted and asked if I had anymore bunting for sale.  I did have another set of crocheted bunting, it had intended to be for my little purple shed (a 50th birthday present from Dave) which was left behind in the sale of the house and so the item was packaged and duly dispatched. 

 This morning I had another text from the same lady and she has commissioned another four sets of crochet bunting so more yarn has been ordered from Wool Warehouse.  In the interim I am making birthday bunting for my mum :-)  The sewing machine has also been put to good use, I made a tunic dress over the weekend as well as some knitting project bags to sell in the shop.



50th Birthday Shed Bunting






The boxed pleats were a bit of a challenge and since the pattern was from one of the many Japanese sewing books, there wasn't much in the way of pattern information.  The original dress resembled a tent!  It was meant to be loose fitting but it was positively voluminous.  Thanks to WhatsApp video calls with my mum in law we were able to work out how to redraft the pattern and after the 20th rehash and try on I have a wearable item!  It is still slightly too big but not stupidly so :-)





Obviously not staged in anyway and not the photos I would use on the Folksy page but just some quick shots to share with the WhatsApp family group.  The fabric was from Mum H just as the lock down began and she loved seeing how it had been used.  The only outstanding job is to fit the drawstring enclosure and take some product photos for the Folksy page.



I've not been the only one in a happy space!  One of my workroom windows is directly opposite Dave's workshop and it was lovely to see him tinkering in there one afternoon.

Both kids have been busy with their school/college lessons and various projects and we seem to have found a reasonable rhythm to our days.  This lock down thing isn't so bad after all :-)

5 comments:

Shirley-Ann said...

I've loved seeing the projects you are working on San and how exciting to have done so well on Folksy with your bunting! I have to say that it is always a thrill when I get a notification from Etsy saying I've sold some yarn!

Kezzie said...

OOh, your bunting is lovely and how great to have sold several items! Not surprised though as it is gorgeous! Well done!
The bags and the dress look really nice- bravo to you! Nice to see Dave enjoying his workshop! What does he make?

sustainablemum said...

Wow you have been busy! How lovely that you have got some sales and commissions. Glad to hear that you are all safe and well.

doe said...

Hello San, yes, there is some good to this quarantine perhaps! I think the dress looks very nice on you. I must remember to tell my friend Marisa about all the drafts you did with the pattern, as she was feeling bad about about all the re-dos needed on her wool sweater. Also, my friend Janet struggled today with a "same on both sides" knitted cable pattern on a sweater that she just pulled out of storage and is working on again. Persistence and patience are needed for so many successful garments. I love seeing Dave working in the shop, and your bags and buntings are lovely. Congratulations on your sales!

Sandra Ann said...

Thanks for the encouraging words regarding the Folksy shop. I sent my mum's birthday bunting off today (her birthday) and all being well it should arrive tomorrow as it was sent special delivery. A humongous parcel from Wool Warehouse arrived today so I'll make a start on the commissioned bunting. Sadly it is made with acrylic yarn as there is no way I could afford to make it otherwise, as it is I'm not making a 'living' from the products that I sell.

Once the lathe and milling machine are in place Dave can continue work on his engine, it has been a real labour of love and it would be lovely to see it running :-)