Wednesday 12 February 2014

The Storms Of Life :: Gratitude Sunday (Late Edition)

Britain is currently besieged by storm force winds and driving rain, some parts of the country are literally under water and here in the North the met office has issued a red warning, with predicted hurricane force 12 winds, as measured on the Beaufort wind force scale.  Life too can present us with stormy weather and the back issues mentioned a few Sundays ago have not been resolved and in fact have worsened, so much so, I made an emergency visit to the GP surgery this morning!  The sacral pain has been unrelenting and I am now experiencing numbness in this area so a scan at some point might be indicated.  I left with a script for stronger painkillers and a half hour follow up appointment next week, can't come soon enough!

Some of the "kids" too have been battered and it doesn't matter how old they are it is always difficult seeing your loved ones suffer, life at times can certainly be a challenge!  I have to admit that for the first time this year I have experienced a few "down days" but as a result of all my self care plans organised in January the blackness has been short lived and I have still been able to write some gratitudes in my journal, Praise God!  There is nothing like a Psalm to speak volumes and this one was gifted to me as part of my 18th  birthday present from my cousin and his wife; little did either of us know then, that it would literally be an anthem to my life thus far!

" God is our refuge and strength,
A very present help in times of trouble.
Therefore we will not fear,
Even though the earth be removed,
and the mountains be carried into the sea;
Though its waters roar and be troubled,
Though its mountains shake with its swelling,
There is a river whose streams shall make glad the city of God,
The holy place of the tabernacle of the Most High,
God is in the midst of her ,she shall not be moved,
God shall help her ...
The Lord of hosts is with us
The God of Jacob is our refuge"

As this passage came back to me I remembered my art session with Benedict on Friday of last week.  In an effort to encourage him with his writing, we chose the word "stability" from the Rule of St Benedict as our guide.  The session worked out in that I hoped Benedict would be inspired to put pen to paper but not in the way that I had imagined!  He loved the calligraphy work but not the art whereas the drawing and colouring was just what I needed, LOL:


 Loving the calligraphy pen.


 Hmm, he doesn't look too happy here ... a minute later bloods were checked and he was having a hypo!


God our rock ... and the parable of where to build your house and that isn't on the sand!


"Gratitude isn't only a celebration when good things happen.  It's a declaration that God is good no matter what happens"

Not wishing to miss a week of gratitudes, here is my list albeit a little late:

Celtic Spirituality talk on you tube.

Dave and I managing to smile about our current health difficulties.

For rabbit trails in the learning zone ~ keeping us entertained, interested and educated.

Pip's first school trip ~ a forest school day and a Gruffalo hunt.

Benedict's infectious smile and giggle.

" Christ is your iron, He doesn't make you strong, He is your strength"

Cooked meal for after football lunch, Benedict's favourite, Roast Chicken!

Mass, Love It, Thank You God!

A Gift sour,sweet, just right ~ I really did not want to get up and teach today.  My mood was sour and Benedict's bloods were too sweet!  He had forgotten to give himself insulin at breakfast :-(  Time to climb the ladder, lie down in poverty before the Lord ~ a resting just right!

The happiest people don't have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything.

 All dressed for the forest school trip.



 " Look mummy my tooth came out on the trip! and the second tooth is through right behind it!"




 Dave taking a picture of me taking a picture of him!




 Monday skyline before the rains came ... again!




 A caramel treat on a windy day.




 An after school snack at the end of a very trying day.

Be blessed x 




6 comments:

Jeanette said...

Sorry to hear you are having so much pain, hope the pain killers are doing their job. x

dorinalouise said...

Dearest San, I send hugs and so much love and prayers your way. I can feel all the beauty and strength inside you as all these storms battle around you. I hope the pain for you is relieved and that Benedict stabilizes. Pip's toothless mouth is too precious. I'm sure the tooth fairy will be very good to her :) I love Benedict's calligraphy and your drawing. I'll be thinking of the rainy storms in your world while the snow falls here in ours. Peace and love and snuggle up close with tea and knitting and loved ones, xoxoxo.

devonmama said...

Thinking of and praying for you San. It is so good that you can think of all the goodness in the midst of being poorly xxx

sustainablemum said...

I am sorry to hear you are suffering with your back. Hope you can get it sorted soon :)

Eva said...

That is a strong wind, reminds me of Northern Germany. I hope you will keep your power. Good calligraphy work, Benedict. Jonathan has taken a calligraphy class and still remembers what he learned there. I hope the back pain will get less severe. Peter's mother had a really bad back and finally had surgery. The surgeon told her that for certain conditions this is the only way to go. The recovery from surgery was hard, but the result was excellent. No pain anymore!! Sending you a big hug!! I love the stability painting. Looks kind of Waldorfy.

dorinalouise said...

Here I am again . . I've caught up! Good night :)