Wednesday 10 October 2012

Yarn Along

I've been busy with the knitting.  The cardigan for Pip is almost finished.  The Milo for my friend's baby is complete and I also had fun knitting this hat for Pip with left over wool:

It was actually freezing first thing, but not so cold that a hat was needed!
 
 


I think it's safe to say that she loves the hat!
 
 



The pattern is from Ravelry and is the " Norwegian Star Earflap Hat" by Tiennie. 

 It's been a long time since I tackled an intarsia design since I often lack the patience with following the charts.  Thankfully the design was only spread over fifteen rows, so I figured even me with my "need it done now!" attitude I  could cope. 

 I was unsure of my gauge and so decided to ere on the side of caution and knit on smaller needles, using the adult pattern as my guide.  The hat is a little bit big, but I would rather it was this way round than too small.  It'll be like her pixie hat that I made when she was six months old and she was still wearing it at two!!

On my needles at the moment is a pink square as part of a yarn bombing cause and with the left over wool from the Milo, I'm hoping to knit a hat or bootees.

My reading material is this book:

The Birth Partner: Everything You Need to Know to Help a Woman Through Childbirth


It's interesting reading the book as a non pregnant woman, for a start I no longer cringe at the stages of labour part, since for once it won't be me actually doing the hard work.  I am however very mindful of my role as a birth partner and no doubt as the due date draws nearer, I will be more than a little apprehensive.  Still, I have another six months to get my head around it all, so all is calm for the time being!

9 comments:

devonmama said...

What a lovely hat San, will look great in the snow :) And what a supportive birth partner you will be. I hope the book is a good reference xx

momto5 said...

that is is wonderful, very lovely and cozy looking.
your going to be a birth partner? that is wonderful,such an important roll. i do love birth.

arwen_tiw said...

Gorgeous hat. :)

sustainablemum said...

Love the hat, you have knitted the cardigan quicker than I did!

steph said...

great hat!!

Eva said...

Wonderful knitting! My mom once made an overall for my little brother with one row of Norwegian patterns after the other. Each row was different and there were so many colors. It was so much work, but looked beautiful. I could never do that, I'm too impatient for patterns.

Happy reading, must be strange to read books like that for somebody else, especially the own daughter.

Claire said...

I love that hat!!! And I LOVe the socks! They arrived this morning - two pairs! You are amazing! I am so thankful and grateful :) I see the pattern here now too, fab. So many thanks, Iona has warm cosy feet today xoxoxox

dorinalouise said...

wow. i'm impressed with your knitting. it's really beautiful. and it's finished!! the book looks good too :)

Hannah said...

Lovely colour work pattern on the hat - well done! (sorry for the multiple comments - am attempting to catch up!)