Wednesday 9 September 2020

Rest In Peace Dad

 My lovely Dad died at 8:30 am yesterday morning.  I spoke with him on Sunday and he was his usually chirpy self saying that he was sure he would be home by the end of the week and would enjoy reading the blog from his phone in the hospital.  Sadly on Monday he had another heart episode, which necessitated sedation and shock treatment and due to the sudden collapse he also bashed his head quite badly.  A CT scan showed a fracture on the skull with an accompanying small bleed on the brain.  Due to the uncertainty of his condition my brother Col and I were allowed to be with him.  I arrived at the hospital at 8pm Monday evening as Col had arrived a few hours before me.  A priest was called and Dad was given the Sacrament of The Sick.  Since he was fairly peaceful due to the sedative Col and I returned to Mum and Dad's house at 11pm only to be woken by a telelphone call from the hospital at 1am.

It was a long night and Dad's heart and oxygen rate kept dipping and then he seemed to rally but as the night turned into day his heart became really irregular and we knew it wouldn't be long.  Just before he died the sedation had worn off slightly -enough for him to open his eyes and recognise we were with him and that was a real comfort.  Col and I had prayed with him and for him during the night and at the very end we were able to encourage him to make that step in to eternity - a very painful and humbling priviledge.  

Dad it hurts not to have you here and you have left a massive hole, may you rest in peace, San xx 




19 comments:

Eva said...

Oh San, my prayers and love are with you and your family. It was good you were there for him and helped him "cross the threshold." That is something not many people get to do. You are a brave woman and did the best you could in spite of all the pain you must be feeling.

Sending you a big hug across the ocean.

Dave22Fair said...

Thank you Dad for putting up with me as your son in-law. God bless, Dave X

Sandra Ann said...

Dear Eva,

Thank you for your love and prayers xx

doe said...

Oh San, I hold all of you in my heart. You are all so dear. May God's love comfort you and hold you close.

Sue Elvis said...

Dear San,

I’m so very sorry to hear you have lost your dad. Oh yes, he must have left a big hole in your life. I keep you in my prayers. Sending much love. May God bless you all. xxx

Sandra Ann said...

Thank you Dorina you are a precious friend xx

Sandra Ann said...

Dear Sue,

So lovely to see you here, thank you for your love and prayers xxx

Lynda said...

So sorry to read about your dad. What a comfort for him to have you and your brother with him at the end, and Jesus waiting for him on the other side.

Much love to you and your family, Lynda xx

Fat Dormouse said...


May he rest in peace, and rise in glory; and may God hold you & those who loved your father in the palm of his hand.

elli said...

Oh my dear one. Prayers ascending for you and for your family. I am so sorry. What a blessing that you were able to be there with him. What a wrenching sorrow that he is gone. I send you my love. {{hugs}}

Sandra Ann said...

Thank you Lynda for your loving and kind words they are much appreciated. Despite the pain there were and have been so many graces, God is good xx

Sandra Ann said...

Thank you lovely lady for your prayer it is much appreciated xx

Sandra Ann said...

Thank you Penelope. There were and are so many blessings and God's love and presence was there throughout. He died on Our Lady’s birthday and my mum has a real devotion to Our Blessed Mother. I asked God for a sign yesterday that my Dad was with him and I got the confirmation from my daughter Emma who is a religious sister in Spain. He really does hold us in the palm of his hand xxx

sustainablemum said...

I am so very sorry to hear this San. Holding you in my thoughts at this incredibly difficult time for you all. Much love to you xxx

elli said...

Dear San, praying for you and your family this day, as always. Hoping Dave's recovery is going well — perhaps he is home with you all once more? Be well, my dear! May the peace of the Lord, and the grace of Christ, and the hope of the Holy Spirit shower on you, this day and every day. XOX

Sandra Ann said...

No sign of Dave home til the 19th November at the earliest xx

elli said...

Oh, I am sorry to hear it will be so long yet. I know how hard that must be for you and the children. Holding you in my heart and prayers! xox

Kezzie said...

I'm so sorry to hear of your Father's death San. To lose your Father at such a time must be horrible. I am glad to hear you were able to be with him And prat with him and for the sedation to have eased for you. So glad to hear that Sr. Emma was able to give you a sign too. Our Father has a new companion in heaven.xx

Eva said...

Any news on Dave's coming home date?