Wednesday 2 September 2020

Update

 Dave was transferred to the Sue Ryder Neurological Rehab Centre a week today.  Pip and I were allowed to see him the day before his transfer as we were unsure whether we would be allowed to visit at the new place.  We can visit once his seven day quarantine is over which ends to today providing his second Covid test is clear.

He has settled in well and has a lovely ground floor room with an en suite bathroom. All the staff are not only very competent but very caring and at least four of the clinical support workers are Catholic/Orthodox so contact has been made with the local Parish Priest regarding Holy Communion.  Dave is now thankfully on the correct diet as a result of a visit from the dietician and head chef; not only is the food nourishing it is well presented and appetising. Most importantly of all however Dave is now accessing intensive physio rehab five times a week with additional occupational therapy support of at least twice a week.

The kids and I are bumbling along.  I won't lie my health is pretty rubbish right now and I'm using disability aids in the home and outside to help me get about.  Ben is majorly stressed about a return to college, (we have this every single year but this time it is much worse as a result of Covid)  and activities that Pip would normally attend, are either not running or it is tricky to access due to my own health inadequacies.

 My lovely friend Eva wrote a thorough and detailed list of a home school plan and I had intended to put the suggestions in place over the summer break.  Well that old saying "If you want to hear God laugh tell him your plans" certainly heled true this year!  I have however signed Pip up for a Year 7 English class courtesy of Oxford Home Learning so at least we have Maths and English sorted. Little by little we'll get there :-)

First time seeing Dad in five weeks




A room not only with a view but a place ...

... to dine al fresco!






Wildflower meadow on the estate :-)




Sarah who took Dave for a tour around the grounds yesterday :-)

   

9 comments:

Kezzie said...

I'm glad to hear that Dave is there now and it looks so nice (well, as nice as it can be, being away from home). I am so sorry to hear your health is so rubbish. Sending you hugs dear friend.x

elli said...

Oh, San, I am so heartened to hear that Dave is now receiving better care! The place looks quite nice, too — how wonderful to have such ready access to the outdoors!!

I am of course so sorry that this has happened at all. Such stress for you all :-( I uphold you in my daily prayers. What a year this has been.

XOX

sustainablemum said...

Dearest San, I am so pleased that Dave is finally getting the care that he needs and that you have been able to see him. It must have been so hard for you all to not be able to visit him. I do hope that you can do that again soon. I so sorry to hear that it is effecting your own health, which is unsurprising given all the stress that you must be under. You have been in my thoughts this past few weeks and will continue to be until Dave is safely at home with you all, I do hope that is soon xxx

Sandra Ann said...

Thank you for the prayers and likewise for you too as things have been extra challenging at your end xx

Sandra Ann said...

Thank you for your loving words and good thoughts they are much appreciated xx

Sandra Ann said...

Thanks for the hugs Kezzie they are much appreciated xxx

Lynda said...

So glad Dave has been moved and is now getting the physio (and meals) he needs. I hope your health starts to pick up too. xx

Sandra Ann said...

Thanks Lynda x

doe said...

Dear San, it's wonderful to hear how things are going. Hooray for Dave to be in the new place and I love the photo of him with Pip. I hope all the rehab now pays off and he can come home soon. It looks like a lovely center with the flowers and access to the outdoors; and having good food is such a health boost. I'm thinking of you every day and praying for better health for you and for all of you to be together again soon. Sending a big hug, Dorina xoxoxo