Sunday 17 September 2023

A Tale of Two Gardens

 Dave’s mum stopped over from Thursday to Friday and once we waved her off I noticed some interesting growth in the garden:






The free winter squash seeds are abundant!  We also have two other fully grown squashes in the back garden.  This squash plant took ages to develop but thanks to a summer of rain and then a week long heat wave it’s suddenly sprouted ๐Ÿ™‚

I also spied this interesting creature:



It caught a whole heap of Midges for its tea, those webs are pure magic ๐Ÿ’š


Today we did something completely different, it was our well deserved reward for managing to get to a Saturday evening vigil mass four weeks in a row!  Nothing short of a miracle and all down to Our Lady of Mount Carmel ๐Ÿฉท  We set off after breakfast and actually had a day out ๐Ÿ™‚ and visited RHS Garden Harlow Carr Pip pushed me in the wheelchair once we arrived at our destination and upon arriving home at the end of the day, Dave and Pip made tea whilst I crashed on the sofa ๐Ÿคช  It was utterly exhausting but so lovely to do something different:

Our first stop was Betty’s Tea Rooms but unfortunately the queue was ginormous and since Covid is on the rise we felt it was safer to sit outside.  Thankfully they had a shop and take out service so we shared two gluten free cakes washed down with Earl Grey tea.







After our tea and cake treat it was time to visit the gardens - we chose a carefully planned route which included various flower beds and the arboretum.  Unfortunately the path around the arboretum was not really transport chair friendly so it was a mix of Pip pushing me and then me walking slowly with my stick.  It was only when we arrived back at the visitor centre we saw the off road self propelled wheelchairs that could be reserved, will definitely give one a go next time we visit ๐Ÿ™‚















After our combined walking and wheeling it was soon time for lunch so we stopped at Betty’s in the gardens and had soup, sandwiches and another mug of tea.  A very Happy Sunday was had by all ๐Ÿ™‚




9 comments:

elli said...

Oh, how wonderful to have a Day Out, San! I am so happy for you๐Ÿค—

Sandra Ann said...

Thanks Elli xxx

Anonymous said...

Oh, lovely Harrogate!!! I do love it there and Harlow Carr is great! I am glad you had a reward! I do still have the books though I mentioned that a work colleague could read them but I'm sure she has plenty to get on with (she is our librarian at school!). Will get myself into gear to send them!x Kx

Eva said...

Beautiful pictures, San! That spider is wonderful and your squash is really spreading. What kind is it? I mean, you wrote "winter squash," but is it a certain kind? What a beautiful park you went to. There are still so many flowers blooming! Your cake looks really yummy. Covid is on the rise? Are people getting the newest vaccines? Stay healthy!

Sandra Ann said...

Hi Kezzie, thanks for replying about the books, no rush though and I do appreciate you sending them!

Hi Eva, the squash was from a selection of free seeds from a fellow permaculture friend. I will have to take a photo of the squash in the back garden, it looks like the outer skin is blue and the inner flesh a creamy white. Yes Covid here is on the rise ๐Ÿ˜•. Our cleaner tested positive last Wednesday and she’s still testing likewise today a week later, she has been really poorly with it this time ๐Ÿ˜•. Dave, Ben and I have been offered vaccines but not Pip so we are booked in. I’m not convinced we will escape it though as both kids are now at college ๐Ÿ™„. I’ve not forgotten photos of Pip’s bedroom, hoping to take some when the weather and subsequent lighting improves! Xx

Anonymous said...

Your day out sounds wonderful - well planned and absolutely deserved
Siobhan xx

Sandra Ann said...

Thanks Siobhan, so lovely to see a comment from you, I hope and pray you are managing ok xx

Eva said...

That sounds exciting! Blue and white, I wonder what it will look like in a few weeks. Oh, I am so sorry that Covid is coming back. Veronika, Flora, and I have received all the possible vaccines, including the new bivalent one, so we are all set. We got it last fall and the new one that is coming out right now will not be much different. But Jonathan, Charlotte, Miriam, and Peter have not. The newest vaccine will be available in our area probably by the end of next week. Charlotte and Peter will probably get it then. I will go and look at your bedroom pictures now :).

doe said...

What a lovely day San. The garden you visited is beautiful and your garden has done so well. I love the photo of the spider with it's tea treat scattered all around :D