Wednesday 8 March 2023

Foyle’s War and Sock Knitting

 Since there were a few comments about Foyle’s War I thought I would share here ๐Ÿ™‚. It was a television show originally aired in 2002 and spanned eight seasons over the course of several years.  You may have guessed by the title it is set in the Second World War and focuses on the local seaside constabulary of Hastings overseen by Detective Chief Superintendent Foyle.  The storylines are very well written and I would wholeheartedly recommend the show.



This channel shows each episode in full.  If you wanted to watch you would be looking for S01 E01 


In other news, I’ve managed a bit of sock knitting which has been good for my well being, also my GP appointment went well.  It was fortuitous that she happened to see me when I was feeling pretty unwell having dealt with an abnormal heart rate rhythm whilst in the waiting room and my left hand was very purple.  In the absence of any current input from cardiology she wanted me to try a low dose beta blocker to slow down my heart rate, provided it didn’t cause any issues.   Unfortunately even one tablet has messed with my already sluggish circulatory system and as a result I’ve felt dreadfully cold all day - ice water running through my veins and terrible numbness in my feet.  I think I’ll have to try alternatives such as upping the garlic as recommended by our herbalist. 




 I do know however that things could be a whole heap worse.  A lovely Instagram friend who contracted covid a few weeks before me is so unwell that she cannot even open her eyes for more than a few minutes at a time due to severe neurological issues of vertigo and dizziness ๐Ÿ˜ข. When I became unwell with covid we were messaging each other back and forth offering support and it’s heart breaking that she has deteriorated so rapidly these past few months.  She is no stranger to chronic illness having lived with ME for several years now but up until covid she was able to work part time as a vet, be involved with climate issues (even from her bed) and advocate for others in the ME community.



 Thinking of all those women and girls  in the chronic illness community that deal with misunderstanding, gender bias and medical gaslighting on a routine basis - this has to stop. 

15 comments:

doe said...

Hello San, thanks for the info on Foyle's War. I'm going to try and see if I can obtain the episodes somehow. The video isn't working for me across the pond here. I'm sorry to hear about your friend and I hope she can begin to feel better. The instagram post is a good reminder of how difficult it can be to be heard and to find answers. I hope the garlic is helpful for you xoxo Your sock is lovely and is a good motivator for me to get started on another also (I have the skein all wound already).

Eva said...

Thanks for the explanation about Foyle's War. As Dorina said, we cannot watch the video here due to copyright issues. I found this link, which is working for me. Is the garlic helping?

sustainablemum said...

I am sorry to hear that your heart issues are still ongoing, I do hope garlic helps you. Your sock is lovely, such a gorgeous colour. I am knitting a sock here too.

Anonymous said...

I think that you amazing
I hear in your blog that life is not always easy for you as a family, but you persevere with humour and grace- and that is really remarkable

And isn’t it wonderful medical staff caring for you really get to see you and your experience- I hope you felt heard by your GP ( which is I know not the same as treated or cured, but a girl can hope)

Foyles War is wonderful, and really tells the story of what was happening at homes - i think Michael Kitchen is a superb actor ( I would listen to him reading out his shopping list, whilst quirking his eyebrow!)
Hoping that this has been a good week for you all
Siobhan x

Shirley - Under An English Sky Yarns said...

Oh I LOVE Foyle's War! It's one of my favourites. I have spent many a happy hour watching it whilst knitting.

So sorry to hear about your ongoing heart problems and about Fran. I do hope that you are able to see a cardiologist soon!

doe said...

Hello dear San! Just thinking of you and sending you love :) xoxoxoxo

Kezzie said...

I've never watched Foyle's war! I think I should do.
Sorry to hear about your ongoing health issues and the case of your friend Fran. xxx

Anonymous said...

Dear San
My husband Tony died on Saturday March 25th
My heart is broken
Siobhan x

Sandra Ann said...

Dear Siobhan, I am so very sorry to read this news about Tony ๐Ÿ˜ข. I cannot begin to imagine what you are going through - do you have folk nearby offering you support at this very sad and difficult time? With love San xx

Anonymous said...

Thanks San
It’s three weeks today since Tony died
And his funeral I’m not until the 28/4
It was his birthday last Thursday - such a hard hard day - he would have been 64
I ache for him
I do not know how I will live without him
At present I am crumbling
I miss him so much xx

Sandra Ann said...

Siobhan I’m so sorry - I cannot imagine what you are going through. Wish I lived nearby to give you a hug and sit with you awhile ๐Ÿ™❤️

Eva said...

Prayers to you, Siobhan! May the Lord comfort you.

Anonymous said...

Thank you San and Eva
It’s six weeks now since Tony died
I am lost without him
Siobhan x

Eva said...

Siobhan, I hope you have some support from family and friends. It must feel very lonely without your husband.

Sandra Ann said...

Thinking of you Siobhan ❤️❤️