Monday 15 May 2023

Time Flies …

It’s nearly two months since I posted.  Most days I’m in survival mode with the occasional glimmer of feeling well enough to undertake a half hour of sitting down gardening, or cook a meal sitting down with rest breaks in between, but most days you will find me on the sofa πŸ™„  My heart rate still isn’t right and I’m now dealing with another long covid complication called Mast Cell Activation Syndrome or MCAS for short.  This means I don’t tolerate eating a lot of foods containing histamine and certain cleaning smells can have me feeling like I’m short of breath.  

Despite life in the mundane slow lane I have been taking photos so here is a rough round up of the past six weeks or so:


Books Galore

















Permaculture and Nature Therapy

The garden has been a valuable healing space, on good days I’ve eaten breakfast outside, photographed flowers, learned to love weeds (a real sign of resilience and my watch word this year πŸ™‚) and adopted slow solutions in tackling my Permaculture Design Certificate- not giving up!





Painting the compost bin and fence panel was a joint effort family affair.  The other panels will be painted at some point. 



Out in my PJs on a Saturday morning moving buckets to collect extra water using the permaculture principle of ‘use and value resources.’ 



Meditative sky watching. 









Planting a variety of free seeds gifted by a friend, some have already begun to germinate.



Dave tying in the Egremont Russet apple tree. 






A whiskey barrel plant guild - food to eat, food for pollinators and nitrogen fixing plants. In the barrel there is a variety of flowers, tomato plants, lettuce and beetroot seeds and I’m hoping to plant some beans for nitrogen. 




Tulips in the front garden. 

Sorry for my absence to anyone who stops by here on a regular basis, I do hope you are well and hopefully I'll manage to pop by more frequently xx 



9 comments:

doe said...

Hello San, the book recommendations are inspiring. I just found a book on the shelves at my local library titled Gaia's Garden. I'll have to let you know how it is. I love seeing all the wonderful plants you are growing. Permaculture is very interesting and I'm learning bits through your posts. It's very grounding and uplifting at the same time. Love the photo of you in the rain! Your yard looks pretty with the glistening raindrops. I'll keep you in my prayers San, for continued gains for strength and good health. xoxoxo

doe said...

P.S. Keep us posted about how the apple tree does, and the dandelion photo is lovely.

Sandra Ann said...

Thanks Dorina, sending love to you xx

Anonymous said...

It’s always lovely to see a post from you
I am inspired by your positivity, resilience and faith
And I agree your photo is fab
Siobhan x

Sandra Ann said...

Hi Siobhan, sending hugs to you, I hope you are managing ok? Xx

Eva said...

Your planting looks wonderful! We are still getting frost here, but the girls have started some indoor seeds. We hope we can plant them outdoors soon. How do you like the book about less technology?

Anonymous said...

Thank you for thinking of me San
This is the hardest, darkest and saddest period of my life
It’s 8 weeks tomorrow since Tony died
I am finding it hard to attach any meaning to life without him
Siobhan x

elli said...

Offering prayers of support and love from afar, San. πŸ€—πŸ™πŸ½.... I certainly miss being able to write at my blog regularly, but the energy ... just is not there. Having another bad flare with my inflammatory bowel and my fatigue these days. Be well and take care, my dear. Love seeing the flowers and books, and it is always lovely to read a post.πŸ’–

BLD in MT said...

What beauty and grace you find despite the ongoing survival mode. I continue to send my best, little enough though that may be! Enjoy your reading! Looks like a lot of good finds in that round-up!