Sunday 31 July 2022

Out of Hibernation

 I read a post somewhere about the person involved describing their depression as a form of hibernation and I though it was quite apt.  I've been away from here for the longest time ever, sure I've taken a month off here and there but not nearly eight months!  For the early part of the year I was busy finishing up my final piece for my red tent doula qualification, my piece was entitled "Unravelling birth stories using creative writing and art therapy."  I had a final session with my doula mentor and my final piece was well received and a certificate was duly despatched.

Somewhere around the middle of February I noticed that things were slightly off and not only did I withdraw from various online connections (this place included) I was really having to force myself to get dressed, have a shower and do basic daily things each day.  I had a lovely appointment with my GP and  we both reached the same conclusion that I was suffering from mild depression.  A plan of action was devised which included talking therapy and a series of online 'Zoom' sessions based on well being and gratitude.  I'm pleased to report I've made it through the other side and back to my usual self :-)

Despite having some really tough days we have had a lot of good things happen in these intervening few months so I though I would share a small selection of photos capturing this time:

Eva and her family were in London for the third time and we finally got to meet them in person!

Dave and Peter


Pip with Miriam, Veronika and Flora.



Eva and I.

I was really proud of myself dealing with London traffic.  We were staying in Guildford and since the A3 into London was closed due to a road traffic accident. I literally had to go around all the houses!  Eva cooked some beautiful food that catered for all of our dietary requirements which is no mean feat for sure :-)


A Flying Visit from Sr Emma



Em and Sr Karen her companion made a flying visit.  I had a phone call on the Friday to say that the flight was booked for the Sunday and they would return home on the Thursday!  It was a whistle stop tour of seeing family interspersed with daily mass and fit to fly Covid tests!



Almost all of us (Sara and Tom were working and not able to switch out their work schedule) including an extra addition nestled in Kath's tum!  Grandchild number three and granddaughter number two due any day now!


Confirmation Weekend

Pip was confirmed on Pentecost Sunday (June 5th).  She chose Chiara Badano as her confirmation saint.  Dave's mum stopped for the weekend and our longstanding Little Flower's friend Kara was Pip's confirmation sponsor.  Sadly photos were not allowed in the church but some official snaps were taken, we are just awaiting a copy.  We did however have a really lovely day and that is all that matters.

  

Party Food



Pip and her friend Rosey (Kara's eldest daughter).



A post Pip hospital treat the following day and before Nanna returned home.




The Annual Fairy Day

Every year we celebrate a midsummer fairy day for Pip since her actual birthday is literally just before Christmas.  Her best friend spends the day with us and they have a whole heap of fun :-)  Once again ETSY came up trumps and they did a 'Night at The Museum' escape room which then earned them both a copy of the Hogwarts Baking Book.  Their task was to make Hagrid's Rock Cakes for an after tea dessert and the kitchen survived two giggly teenage girls - thankfully not much mess amidst the mayhem!
















Confirmation Pilgrimage to Lindisfarne

We wanted to mark Pip's confirmation in a special way and so we took both her and Rosey to the North East of the UK.  We stopped at the Youth Hostel at Alnwick, visited Barter Books, Lindisfarne also known as Holy Island, had fish and chips at Seahouses and on our last day home stopped off at the Roman Army Museum just outside of Hexham.



Choosing a holiday read from Barter Books.


Barter Books Tea Room.


The girls in charge of tea on the first night: beef burgers, oven chips and mixed veg.


St Mary's Church Lindisfarne.



Fish and Chips at Seahouses.


The Front of the YHA.


Last stop before home.

I think that's me caught up!  I really am hoping to pop by more frequently over here and on folks blogs as I've missed catching up with some blogging friends.  Take care folks x 



20 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was lovely to read about Sr Emma's visit and Pip's confirmation. I'm sorry to hear you have had difficult times with depression but relieved you were able to get support. Happy you went to Northumberland.xx

elli said...

Really pleased to see a post! Wonderful to catch up. I am so glad to hear you are feeling better 🕊🙏🏽Love and prayers my dear.

Bitzius said...

Eva passed this along to me, San. Brings back memories! Nice to see those pictures, and I hope you are all doing well. -- Peter

Angela said...

So lovely to read such positive news. God bless you all. I should LOVE to visit Barter Books. I know its a favourite haunt of Kezzie's, and I have their Keep Calm poster. I do hope you purchased M Morpurgo's "Cool". It is such a brilliant book. God bless you all

Sandra Ann said...

Pip’s friend Rosey read the book whilst we were having tea so it went back on the shelf 😂. She did however choose a book on bead making as she is mad about crafting and Pip’s chosen holiday read was all about football! Thank you for stopping by xx

Sandra Ann said...

Thanks Peter it was so lovely to finally meet in person 🙂

Sandra Ann said...

Hugs to you Pen xx

Sandra Ann said...

Thank you 🙂

dorinalouise said...

Hello San, I thought I'd pop by and was wonderfully surprised to see a post :) I'm glad to hear you are feeling better after talking with your GP and getting help with therapy and zoom sessions. I really could have used that these past few years, but everything is so expensive here and my GP left and the health center (based with Beth Israel Hospital) we frequented closed. I liked it because it was more holistically minded and not so quick to always prescribe pills. (Sigh) I finally had a session last week with a therapist recommended by my friend Kendall (A's mom) which I found very helpful. The therapist made some suggestions and I have a recording of it. I'd also like to have a few acupuncture sessions and I'm trying to talk to myself more positively with happier affirmations. It's not easy to change.
The trip to Lindisfarne looks beautiful and fun! And the visit with Eva was special. I'm very proud of you too, for driving well through the London traffic :) When we went cross-country in '17 I drove us through Chicago and was pleased with myself for that feat.
I love the family pic! Everyone has a beautiful smile, though Dave looks like it might have been a little chilly. It's always so wonderful to be together with our children again. And Kathryn's news is very exciting! Is Mary Grace over the moon with thoughts of a sister?
I send you much love and a big hug. xoxo

Eva said...

So wonderful you are writing here again! I have missed your posts and missed finding out what you are doing. It was amazing that you handled London traffic! I know I could have not done that with having to drive on the "wrong" side of the road :).

And Emma came to visit, what a treat! And I hope the birth will go well. Congratulations on finishing the doula certification. Will you be able to work as a doula? Ah, and Lindisfarne! One of these days I will also get to go there. You are lucky to have been able to have Confirmation for Pip. Veronika is our next candidate, but there is no Confirmation scheduled this year and probably not next year either. There are simply not enough young people here to do this. Maybe she will not get a chance so soon. Did you like the Roman army museum? Flora and I are reading "Eagle of the Ninth" right now.

Lynda said...

Lovely to see a post from you Sandra Ann, and I'm so glad you are feeling better. xx

Sandra Ann said...

Thank you Lynda x

Sandra Ann said...

Hi Dorina, thank you for stopping by 🙂. Yes it was a chilly afternoon. Mary is over the moon at being a big sister. I hope the suggestions from the therapist really help, sending love to you ❤️

Sandra Ann said...

Yes it is lovely to be back in this space 🙂. I have loads of happy memories from our visit with you thank you for your hospitality ❤️ The Roman Army museum was really great, I think Ben read the Eagle of the Ninth. To be honest I’m not sure about the Doula work as I am really struggling with my physical health right now, so I’m busy in the craft room making bunting to sell 🙂

Anonymous said...

How wonderful to see a post from you - and thank you for being honest about your experience with depression - we are all vulnerable to this, and it is so good to hear that you had support to get through this
I often read your blog but have never commented before
The photos of your various gatherings are so full of joy
Siobhan 😊

Eva said...

Ah, too bad about working as a Doula . . . What is "bunting"?

Sandra Ann said...

I think you would call them pennant flags? I made some for Dorina for her birthday and she shared a photo on the blog 🙂

sustainablemum said...

Lovely to read about what you have all been up to. So many wonderful things happening in your corner of the world. I am so very glad to hear that you were able to get the help you needed I do hope that that continues to be the support you need.

Eva said...

Oh, now I remember!

BLD in MT said...

I'm thankful to hear you're feeling back on the other side of things again. You're smart to step back and take time for yourself, recovering. Congrats on the doula certification! Hooray for time with friends and family, too. That is the most special thing of all!