Friday 7 January 2022

Epiphany

 We have decided to keep the tree up until Candlemas, I think we did the same last year!  I'm just not ready to let go of its comforting presence and it is so cheery to look at too:















Where The Map Begins ~ A Blessing for Epiphany


This is not any map you know,

Forget Longitude, 

Forget Latitude,

Do not think of distance or of plotting the most direct route,

Astrolabe, sextant, compass

these will not help here.


This is the map that begins with a star,

This is the chart that starts with a fire,

With blazing,

with ancient light

that has outlasted

generations, empires,

cultures and wars.


Look starward once

and then look away,

Close your eyes and see how the map begins to blossom

behind your lids,

how it constellates

its lines stretching out

from where you stand.


You cannot see it all,

cannot divine the way

it will turn and spiral

cannot perceive how the road you walk

will lead you finally inside,

through the labyrinth

of your own heart

and belly

and lungs.


But you step out

and you will know

what the wise who travelled this path before you knew,

the treasure in this map

is buried not at journey's end

but at its beginning.


Jan Richardson, 'Circle of Grace, A Book of Blessings for Each Season.'


I love that the treasure is found at the beginning of the journey and not at the end, that gives me a sense of hope and very much ties in with a Benedictine philosophy that, 'each day we begin again' and listen with the ear of our heart to your words O Lord.


I will not lie, I'm struggling with awful inflammation in my low spine and at one point it became too painful to even sit.  I have some pretty strong anti- inflammatory medication that has begun to take down the swelling and the gentle walking is helping to try and shift everything into place.  I also have an Osteopath appointment next week, Praise God!  However, if I'm not careful pain can really start to drag me down, so having these challenges such as an outdoor hour keep me focused and distracted. Seeing the little shapes being coloured in on the nature mandala wheel is also a real encouragement to keep going. 


Since the 2nd of January I have so far clocked up a total of seven hours outside, which is no mean feat for someone with a chronic health condition.  It has not all been plain sailing and there have been times when I have wanted to stay huddled next to the fire, but every time I have ignored that inclination my spirits have lifted for being in nature.  This morning I took a very slow walk to the nearby river and I sat on the bench to soak up the sounds, finish my prayers and just be in God's presence:












In addition to the challenges we also have a joy jar on the table with squares of paper and a pencil and it is openly available for folk to add something that brought them joy that day.  I'm hoping by the end of the year it will be full of such moments that we can share and reflect upon.


Whilst I was on my walk Pip was busy turning this masterpiece into thank you cards for family and friends:






11 comments:

dorinalouise said...

That is the cutest Paddington :)

I love hearing about your walks. It's not easy to make such changes, but so uplifting when we do. I feel your joy and strength when you write about meeting the challenge and being outside.

The tree is so pretty - it's good you can leave it up - and the blessing poem is beautiful.

sustainablemum said...

Wow, Pip's card is wonderful. I am so glad to hear that you are finding healing in being outside, it is so uplifting and I am glad that you are feeling that. I hope it continues you to be so for you.

I am sorry to hear that you are in so much pain, I do hope that lessens for you soon.

Eva said...

That is a pretty blessing. It reminds me of the labyrinth in the Chartres Cathedral! Sorry to hear about your spine. I have something similar and I think I know how it feels. The tip of my spine is deteriorated and there is nothing that can be done. I also have pain when I sit on hard surfaces or walk for too long. I saw a chiropractor for it and he said that this is something that cannot be changed much. It is good you are going outside more. I walked to the post office this morning and it was so cold (-11 C). But the sun was shining and it was good to be out in the snow.

Lynda said...

I love my daily walks by the river. I'm glad you are finding the times of peace and solitude a blessing. Hope you can get some relief from your back pain. And I love the idea of the Joy Jar! xx

Kezzie said...

I'm sorry to hear you have been in such pain. That must bee very difficult but I'm glad for the walks that have lifted your soul by being in nature. Will pray for you.x

elli said...

You've been quiet a long while, San. I hope and pray that all is well, or as well as can be. Miss seeing you about.

May your Lent be Blessed and fruitful πŸ•ŠπŸ•―πŸ™πŸ»

Kezzie said...

Sending you hugs San!x

Charlotte (MotherOwl) said...

I hope all is well and no news are good news. Happy Easter.

Sandra Ann said...

Happy Easter to you πŸ™‚. I’ve been meaning to pop by and share updates and photos but I’ve been struggling mentally and sometimes just getting through the day is a major event 😁. I’m slowly improving and hoping it won’t be too long before I show up here. Thank you for thinking of me it is appreciated x

elli said...

Dear San, happy EasterπŸ•Š❣️🌸 I understand completely about the life struggles and wanting to write but just not having the physical and emotional wherewithal to do so ... hoping you feel better soon. Hoping I do too! This has been a hard hard Spring. Prayers and peaceπŸ•ŠπŸ’–

Sandra Ann said...

Thanks for your loving words dear friend xx