Monday 1 November 2021

October Half Term and Drainage Work

 It was mid term break last week and for most of it Mary came to stay as Kath was working in London.  As lovely as she is it wasn't an easy week as both Pip and I were below par.  Pip has experienced an exacerbation in PoTS symptoms which requires an additional lunchtime dose of Ivabradine.  I've been struggling with a multiplicity of symptoms including menopausal issues, which is weird since my last cycle was over seven years ago!  However we muddled between us and I think Mary enjoyed her stay.

The weather was particularly atrocious so in the main we were home based but we did manage a short jaunt to the park on the Tuesday followed by a trip to the beach on the Thursday.  Mary is a lively, funny and quirky kid with the propensity to flit from one thing to another and the kitchen timer came in very handy!  All activities were allocated a 45 minute time slot so she very quickly realised that she was expected to stick with the task for the allotted time.  I think her favourite activity was playing chess with Grandpa :-)


Making home made pizzas for lunch.


Playing chess with Grandpa.



Reading time, not her favourite activity I'll admit but she did stick to the 45 minute rule ;-)



Fifteen minutes peace and quiet for me whilst the girls worked on their own individual art projects.



Chinese chequers ...




... and a puzzle all with the help of Grandpa.


Ben was also quite busy at the start of the break.

  We have had ongoing issues with our drains and during the summer holidays paid for a drain scan engineer to ascertain the cause.  Apparently the drains at the side of the house had shifted whereby a slump had formed in the middle thus rendering it difficult for waste to clear efficiently.  As a result we paid for Harry (who has worked for our next door neighbour and helped Ben with reinforcing the under eaves in his bedroom) to remove the old pipework and replace with a new system, designed by Dave!

 Ben's role in all of this was to labour on the job, he worked ten hours straight on the Saturday, six on the Sunday and a further four on the Tuesday. Goodness me did he ache all over and it's the first time ever his insulin pump was suspended for an entire day!  He enjoyed the work and was pleased that Harry had also agreed to pay him and it was well above the minimum wage :-)





My mum thought that the ear defenders looked like bunny ears!!  

  



6 comments:

C said...

Like it Sis. Hope you feel better soon x

Sandra Ann said...

Hi Col, thanks for stopping by 🙂❤️

dorinalouise said...

I love seeing Mary Grace. Her braids are just lovely (and how smart to use the timer). How nice that you were able to get out to the park and the beach. Menopausal symptoms never seem to go away! I hope you are better today and that Pip is too. How smart Dave is to design the drain system and how strong Ben was to work for so many hours! I always feel better after a lot of walking (or swimming). Physical activity is wonderful for helping one to relax, I think, and to feel better mentally. I have been having a problem with my left ankle, however. My friend Lizette thinks it's tendonitis. I need to look this up and see what can be done to make it better.

I love the photos of Pip and Mary and Grandpa and Mary . . I was thinking this morning how Greg, Chanda and I need to play cards a little more often.

I hope the drain work is finished now and all is well with it. I send you a big hug. xoxo

Eva said...

Mary has gotten so big! And you came up with some great things and strategies for her. I am sorry to hear about Pip's ongoing problems. Is there any chance her symptoms will improve when she gets older?

When I read about you menopausal issues I was wondering if there could be a connection to the Covid vaccine. I have heard many anecdotal stories about women experiencing bleeding issues after the vaccine, even women who had stopped having their period due to menopause. My own periods got much heavier after both shots (my periods are still quite regular).

Ben did marvelous work! He should be very proud. And I see your mom's point about Ben's headgear.

Our workers are coming back tomorrow. We will see what they will accomplish (good or bad).

Sandra Ann said...

Interesting thoughts re the vaccine. Hope there are no further hassles with the workmen xx

Eva said...

When you google it, you will find quite a few women talking about it, at least here. Those workmen stayed for two days and did what they were supposed to. This team was better than the last (they did everything wrong and some of their work needed to be redone, not to mention the mess they made with the washer and dryer).