Monday 21 December 2020

Waving :-)

 An early start (unintentional) has meant a chance to access the computer and share a long overdue update.

  Dave came home on the 23rd November and although it is lovely having him home it is not without some considerable challenges.  For the first fortnight I didn't know if I was on my head or my feet, we had extra disability equipment delivered and rehab assistants twice daily watching him walk with a frame.  I often joke that he might be disabled but I'm chronically sick which means Dave is pretty well, it's just his legs that don't want to work properly.  I on the other hand live on a knife edge regarding my health and it doesn't take much to tip me over.  The stress of being thrown back into a full on caring roll triggered a really bad IBS and fibromyalgia flare which is still ongoing four weeks later.

Despite the cronky health we all soon settled into a rhythm and it was a good job too as I began my Doula training with Red Tent Doulas UK from 30th November - 16th December.  It was a case of now or never and since all the sessions were via Zoom and in smaller increments I knew I would manage.  I have wanted to train since Pip was small but previously I would have had to travel and be away for an entire weekend.  It was a real confidence boost being back in 'the classroom' and the other girls on the course were just lovely.  In order to qualify I have a self paced series of tasks, an essential reading list and a final piece to submit.  My plan is to do a little each day and hopefully it won't take too long to complete.

During the second week of training we had the downstairs bathroom converted into an accessible wet room for Dave and it was not without considerable challenges.  I was very relieved when everything was completed on that Friday evening and the workmen have done a lovely job.  The next major building work is replacing the kitchen door and installing a ramp at the back of the house. 

All my original home school plans went out the window way back in September, we have just about managed to keep up with some English and maths but everything else was shelved.  Pip did however complete her John Muir Discovery Award with Beacon Fell and received a certificate for all her efforts.  She kept a very detailed diary of each field trip and submitted a poster entitled "Access All Areas ... but not during a pandemic." 

 Pip mapped a low level route that in theory should have been accessible with Dave's mobility scooter but in reality was not feasible.  Normally Dave has access to the off road vehicle at Beacon Fell, but as the visitor centre is shut this is not currently an option.  As it so happened the ranger team were around for the presentation and they took a keen interest in some of her suggestions for making the fell more accessible. 

I'll leave with you some photos of Dave crossing the threshold for the first time since July and Pip's thank you card for the Sue Ryder staff.  Thank you for all your prayers and encouraging words these past months they really are appreciated x 














Hooray for being able to hug Dad :-)



A very special gift given to Dave by another fellow inmate - a really lovely young woman the same age as Emma and Kathryn.
 

6 comments:

elli said...

Oh how utterly lovely to see a post my dear! Thank you for the effort of writing!! I am SO sorry about the health flares. My IBS has been awful too, and combine that with the pain from the uterine tumors and many nights I don't sleep for pain ...! So, I sympathize and I empathize 🙏🏻🕯🙏🏻 How wonderful to have the new accessible wet room for Dave!! I dream of having the same, for me, one day...! Ten years it's been and one day is no closer, ah well!!

Blessed Advent, much love to you 🕊🌟🕊

Charlotte (MotherOwl) said...

So wonderful! I feel the joy all the way to Denmark just looking at tohse photos.

Eva said...

You accomplished so much: Doula training, remodeling a bathroom, some homeschooling, and having Dave home again. You should be proud of yourself. I hope you will have a lovely Christmas time. That drawing by the young woman is lovely.

Lynda said...

I'm so glad Dave is home, and you are settling into a 'new normal'. Your renovations sound like they will make life much easier.

I hope your Christmas went well and that 2021 is a VERY good year for you all. xx

doe said...

Pip is quite the artist, and Dave looks very distinguished with his beard! And I agree with Eva that you have accomplished so much! (and I know it hasn't been easy.) It's just wonderful that he is finally home, and kudos to all of you with finding your rhythm. You may be "off" the planned homeschooling schedule, but all are focused and committed to learning and supporting each other. You are such a wonderful mom and partner, San, and you have a loving and vibrant family. Thank you for sharing and warming my heart. xoxoxo

Kezzie said...

I'm sorry to hear about your flare-up! Of course the extra stress would make that happen, even though you are happy to have lovely Dave home! Sending you much love.x
P.S. Well done to Pip for her award and an excellent card!