Friday 2 August 2019

Vindolanda Roman Museum

We made an epic road trip to this place today.  Sometimes it is good to step outside of your box and do something radical :-)

 Car boot road stop lunch.


 We are here!


The 3-D film was really good.

 Our hologram teacher for the day!


 I look like I have fallen asleep but that is not the case!  Since we took part in a "lesson" the lovely lady at the front desk gave Pip a scroll poster as a memento of the day.








 Pip testing out her archery skills, she qualified for the job!


Examining the chain mail. 


 " I wonder how I'll fair ..."


" uh-oh looks like I'm also joining the Syrian archers!" 








We all really enjoyed the day but I'm ready for bed now for sure :-)

9 comments:

Eva said...

This looks so neat! Reminds me of St. Albans. By the way, do you know the Latin series "Minimus"? It is British and is set in Vindolanda. I am planning on using the first book with Flora next school year. I don't have the teacher's manual, it is way too expensive, but I think it should work without.

Sandra Ann said...

Hi Eva, I actually saw that Latin series yesterday when we were there! I dithered whether to get it but decided to actually tackle the German course recommended by you that has been languishing this past year :-)

Kezzie said...

OOoh, you went to Northumberland!!!! Alas, if only we had been in Hexham! You should have gone the last week in August as I was planning to visit there again whilst I have EH membership still!! It's such a great place!

Fat Dormouse said...


I'm sure you know The Eagle of the Ninth - book & film. The other two books in the series are also interesting. This Guardian review (https://www.theguardian.com/books/2011/apr/02/eagle-of-the-ninth-rosemary-sutcliff) makes me want to read them all again!

Eva said...

Those books are very good, but Veronika says the movie is not very good and not like the book at all! And I do think those books are better suited for 12 years and up.

Shirley Ann said...

Looks like a great trip, we love taking road trips. They build such wonderful family memories :)

Sandra Ann said...

When are you intending to be there? We have Mary with us that week. Both girls are on an adventure camp Wednesday and Thursday but Friday is free! We could possibly meet at Hexham abbey? X

Sandra Ann said...

I saw those books with Ben in mind but he wasn't interested, ah well! I think I will use them with Pip when she is older :-)

dorinalouise said...

San! You really have had a busy summer! You have visited so many places and worked on many wonderful projects. I feel like your homeschooling rhythm has really just become a part of your life! I send all of you lots of love.