Friday 16 August 2019

Jarrow Hall :: Bede's Museum :: Little Haven Beach

We finally made it up North East!  After a three hour car journey which included two quick stops we arrived at Jarrow Hall.  Our lunch was courtesy of The Hive Cafe and once fortified we made our way over to the Anglo Saxon farm:















Meet Geraldine

And then I had an idea ...



... trying to have a goat selfie is not an easy task!









Pip nailed it :-)





 Ben also had some fun feeding Geraldine and her little companion!









Even the sheep enjoyed a tasty Willow treat.












 Chieftain Pip preparing to tell a treacherous tail.


 Fire pit.


Stone grinder.


 Fancy a bed for the night?!


Enjoying some mead and porridge.


Weaving.


Lyre.


Even Ben plucked a tune :-)


St Bede's Museum








































Little Haven Beach





Dave taking a photo of me taking a photo!







 " C'mon mum I just want to eat!"


 Pip used an empty picnic mug as a sand scoop and alternative sandcastle mould.

  We did two live face time broadcasts with my Mum and Dad back home, once at Jarrow Hall and then here at Little Haven beach, South Shields.  My Dad's family hail from this neck of the woods so it was lovely to share the day with them via the wonders of technology.

We are currently residing at a Premier Inn in Salwell and will be heading home after breakfast tomorrow.  Despite feeling really yucky this morning, my symptoms improved as the day progressed and I'm glad that I made the effort to do another radical thing this summer :-)

  And this postcard from the museum will be framed and displayed once home, it will be our motto for the forthcoming home school year:
























13 comments:

elli said...

How wonderful to be able to visit there!! What a blessing. And — that's a fantastic motto for the year :-)

Peace and prayers ... penelope

Sandra Ann said...

It was so good to do something different and I couldn't resist the card when I saw it a definite nudge from the Holy Spirit 😉❤️

sustainablemum said...

Looks like an amazing place! Am I right in thinking that it is only open to the public during the school holidays and in term time it is only for organised groups? Would love to go but don't think we can fit it in this school holiday!

Eva said...

Jonathan wants to come and join you! This looks like a neat place. There is a small replica of an Anglo-Saxon house in the Museum of London, but unfortunately, there is not much Anglo-Saxon stuff left in London. I think it is great you went and the goat is too funny. Do they really like willow leaves?

I like your motto for the next school year . . .

Eva said...

Where is Little Haven Beach? I tried to find it on a map, but could not.

Pen Wilcock said...

What a wonderful day out!

Sandra Ann said...

I thought it was open year round but maybe in term time it is only open to the public on a weekend. I am sure a telephone call should clear things up 😀

Sandra Ann said...

It's on Promenade car park South Shields 😀 Geraldine was great and yes the sheep loved the Willow! I love those words from Bede and they will do just fine 🙂

Sandra Ann said...

It was just what we needed 🙂

Kezzie said...

It sounds wonderful! I love the Goatie attempts. Your face as you are trying to take one is gorgeous! Pure and utter hilarity and enjoyment of a moment!
I've got to apologize at this point- I am so sorry- I remember you left me a comment or sent an email telling me that you might be in Hexham and at the time I was either at camp or on a train and was meaning to reply. Then I completely forgot about it and then couldn't find where it was that you left the message. In the end, we didn't go to Northumberland- we realised that it was too short a time to make the trip and my Mum (who has had a knee replacement) needed to be taken to physio in the middle of the week so we didn't end up there. I hope that if you did make the trip, you had a lovely time.
xx

Kezzie said...

Sorry, Goatie= selfie with a goat!

Sandra Ann said...

Ah no worries we actually made Hexham the day after Jarrow on the way home! I am very late posting pictures :-) Hope your mum is doing well after the surgery xx

dorinalouise said...

Such beautiful photos. The animals are so sweet, and all of you are having a lovely time. It's so good you visited. I love the pic of Pip and Dave trying to eat their lunch :)