Saturday 9 March 2019

Lent Challenges

Yesterday's challenge was about period poverty.  It is sad to read that young girls are missing an education as a result of being unable to afford sanitary protection.  There are lots of websites offering washable pads that are not only good for your purse but the environment too.  However given the fact that many families who attend food banks are also struggling to wash clothes and heat a home, I cannot see that re-usable pads are a realistic option.  Change.org have several petitions on their site calling for an end to this problem.

As a result of the challenge I actually bought items in plastic because God calls me to love my neighbour aswell as his earth:

 In the shopping basket ...



... and safely ensconsed in the food bank shelf.

Today's act is making a generosity jar.  We had already decided to use our coffee trip money as a form of almsgiving with the exception of the odd visit to Wesley's coffee lounge.  Wesleys is a Christian establishment so in supporting them we are in a way making a financial donation to the Methodist community in the town.

The rest of the day has been a mix of cleaning in stages and making meals and I even had the house to myself which is a rarity! After breakfast, Dave and Pip made the 40 minute bus journey back into our old home town; they had a lovely day together. They did some shopping and had an all day breakfast for lunch.  On the way home they stopped off into the village to meet Ben at work and then all three of them caught the bus home, a mere seven minute journey.  Travelling by bus has really revolutionised our family and most importantly given Dave his independence which is precious. 

The blog housekeeping has been a bit of a headache.  Dodgy websites aside we are now trying to find a way to save the blog content because we are not sure if some posts will be deleted once Google+ disappears.  For the last few years I have been using that platform to upload posts and so potentially they could disappear.  I'm sure there is an answer somewhere :-)

 
 

4 comments:

Kezzie said...

Well done! As it happens, we got to Leigh so late that I had to run and get my train and not go to the health food shop so I missed buying the Sanitary towels and I didn't think I could ask my husband to buy them for me (as well as the fact I FORGOT!) but I will try to do it next time we are there!! Well done to you! My Mum bought me a lovely bag of those reusable ones for my birthday present (yes, that's a first, getting sanitary towels as a birthday present!) in all sorts of pretty patterns which is great as they are quite expensive in the initial lay out cost! My stepmum boought me cotton buds!
I am so glad that Dave is able to be independent!x

Sandra Ann said...

Hi Kezzie, I bought reusables after Pip was born and then passed them on to Sara now that I no longer need them thanks to the menopause :-) Mind you that comes with another host of challenges! I will be buying re-usables for Pip because they make absolute sense.

Dave being independent has made such a huge difference, we thank God every day for the move and for our families too who helped us xx

Charlotte (MotherOwl) said...

Going by bus is an invaluable skill for us all :)
I too sorely doubt the practicality of reuseable pads for some poor people. Your choice made good sense to me.
You can copy all the contents in your blog with a few clicks of your mouse. Only I'm not sure how the commands are in English, but I'll give it a try: Where you look at your stats etc. choose "settings", then in the drop down there click "other" and one of the topmost options is to download a backup of all your blog contents.

Sandra Ann said...

Thanks for that info regarding copying blog content it is much appreciated :-)