Monday 28 November 2022

Advent

Goodness me where has this year gone?!  As per tradition in this household, it is a mad scramble on the first Sunday of Advent to hoik the advent box from under the eaves, and scurry around finding the wreath candles bought earlier in the year!  Before I share yesterday's photos here is a quick catch up from the previous few weeks:






Dave's Luggie scooter was in the repair shop a few weeks ago which meant our yearly visit to Bents Homes and Gardens, it was also a chance for Dave to snap some Christmassy photos for the family calendar and for Pip to turn mum into a reindeer 😂



 The stove is in but we cannot at the moment use it!  The installer is waiting to receive is accreditation through HETAS and until that happens we are relying on hot water bottles, hats, scarves and blankets - with the occasional input from the central heating system.  Hope that paper work comes through soon!


Ottilie is 16 weeks old.  Poor gal is teething at the moment and is just recovering from a cold.



Milton our adopted cat from next door often pops by to say "Hello."



Whilst Pip was at her monthly young carers session in Fleetwood (a 45 minute drive from here) Dave and I spent a lovely two hours in the library and this stack came home with me.  The two gardening books will help enormously with my permaculture design course.  This month we are working on maps and overlays, which is fascinating and challenging in equal measure 🤪



Dave had his last session in the MSTAT research trial at Preston Hospital.  His baseline score from the initial visit hasn't changed in those three years despite a fractured spine and four months of rehab, which is pretty astounding.

His appointment ran over into the lunch time so we were treated to a lovely lunch - thank goodness I carry emergency back up meds for Pip!!

And now for yesterday's activities:


Turmeric, ginger and cinnamon latte. 

The last few weeks of constantly having to 'do' has really caught up with me and not only are my glands swollen but I had another weird heart episode in the middle of the night.  I think I need to mention it to a doctor as it is the third time it has happened.



The Christmas crockery appeared and we had yummy blueberry pancakes fro lunch that were full of all the good things - walnuts, chia seeds, desiccated coconut plus the usual pancake mix 😋








It was a spur of the moment decision but most definitely the right one and out came the fire pit.  Whilst Ben readied the fire I cut back some of the scraggy looking herbs, Lemon Balm and Thyme which I will dry in the oven today.  It was really lovely to sit by the fire and ponder this upcoming Advent season.  

Happy Monday to you dear friends x 



10 comments:

Kezzie said...

Well, that fire looks lovely! I do hope you are ok with your hot water bottles and I say, "Hurry up wood stove!". Glad to hear that Dave hasn't changed much on his stats despite the fracture etc. You and Pip look happy together. I love that Alys Fowler book- my mum has that and I pored over it!

Eva said...

Ah, so good to see a post again! Ottilie does look so much older! I hope the teething will be over soon. We also had problems with our wreath candles: I had ordered some a while ago, but they did not arrive until this afternoon. Too bad you cannot use the stove so far. Will there be a new medication for Dave after the research trial? I hope you can figure out that heart thing. You stack of books looks wonderful! I don't know a single title :). Happy Advent!

Sandra Ann said...

Hi Kezzie thanks for stopping by in amongst your own school based pre Christmas chaos!

Hi Eva, Dave is on the list should any further trials appear in our area. I've worked out the heart thing - I'm part of a beta group testing an app solely devised to help folk with ME/Long Covid to pace and manage their symptoms and the app has signalled twice now in the space of seven days that my heart rate variability is lower than it should be, and this has been as a result of additional stresses on my system, physical, mental and emotional. In other words my body is really struggling with all the extra daily demands (managing the home, my illness, everyone else's conditions, home school, hospital appointments) as well as the decorating and associated Christmas stuff plus Pip's birthday. The seasonal change of extra damp and cold also affects me and so it's not unusual for me to have a health crash at this time of year - the challenge is for it to be a minor bump as opposed to a head on collision!! I'll get there with God's help 😊

Eva said...

Thanks so much for your reply. So they think it is a combination of stress and Long Covid? I hope it can get fixed. It sounds rather unpleasant. One step at a time; I think you can do it!

Sandra Ann said...

The app is used for people with ME and/or Long COVID - I have an ME diagnosis (since1992) so never fully recovered, and at best I function at 60% recovery but frequently tip into the red due to extra demands as a carer to those in my family. Even after a short space of time using the app it is interesting to see how my number’s definitely change and when I’m able to rest things start to slightly improve 🙂

Anonymous said...

Lovely to read your post - beautiful pictures of your daughter and granddaughter and Pip looks so happy - you must be proud

I hope your paperwork comes through soon . Our wood burner is on now. My husband has been in increasing pain so he is having a nap on the sofa whilst I am trying to remember where I put the advent decorations from last year

I hope this Advent you are blessed
Siobhan x

sustainablemum said...

Lovely to see a post from you, it sounds like you have all been keeping really busy. That's great news about Dave's numbers you must be so glad. I am sorry to hear that you have been experiencing strange heart episodes San, that sounds really scary, I hope you can get some answers on that. Advent Blessings to you all xx

Sandra Ann said...

Thanks Siobhan for stopping by and I’m sorry to read that Tony is in so much pain, praying for you both during this difficult time.

Advent blessings to you dear friend in the North thanks for popping by xx

doe said...

Hello San, it's so nice to see your smiling faces, adorable Ottilie and the sweet cat from next door :)
I think the app gadget sounds good to use. I'm glad you could get in on the testing group. I hope it's a little easier now for you to stop and rest when needed :) Hooray for Dave's score staying up there even with all he's been through. I also go through the "where are the decorations" scramble when the holidays pop up. Wishing you a fun holiday and birthday time and a wish to keeping things simple. I'll try to do that too :) Sending all of you lots of love.

Kezzie said...

Just popping into say Hi. I hope you are ok.xx