Sunday 25 September 2022

This Week

 On Monday we watched the funeral of our late Queen Elizabeth and afterwards I packed my bags and travelled North to spend a few days with my mum.  The reason for my visit was to take her to a hospital appointment in Lancaster (our old home city), so I spent a lot of time up and down the motorway but it was well worth it.  In between the hospital visit I also enjoyed some time with Ottilie and Kath, goodness me that baby girl is getting big ❤️


Whilst I was away Ben started back at college.  He attends two evenings a week from 6-9pm and in between is working for a few folk clearing gardens and undertaking general handyman/ landscape tasks.







In between household tasks and ferrying folk back and forth I've remained committed to writing almost daily.  I'll be honest I don't know where I'm going with it, but I hope at some point something clicks and until then I'm showing up and writing it all down.


Right where I'm sitting: Outside the Library

Amidst the background noise of traffic there are signs of autumn all around.  Crinkled leaves scattered on the floor like confetti at a wedding.  The tree to my right (a sycamore I think)  still decked in its summer glory is sighing as the wind whistles through - one solitary leaf makes its graceful descent to the ground.

The three tiered whiskey barrel arrangements of chrysanthemums and rudbeckia provide a cornucopia of cheer, just the thing for a grey day, although thankfully the sky is blue and the sun gorgeously warm today.

The trees rustling are a comforting sound.  They are a reminder that although change is on its way all will be well.  Without change we cannot grow and growth paves the way for new opportunities.  The tree does not worry that change is happening, it knows and responds to the cycle of life - change, death, renewal and hope.  each has its place in The Grand Scheme.

Rooks are circling above.  They launch themselves into the air, knowing that the same wind that is rustling among the trees will catch them and assist their traverse from the YMCA building to the tree nearby.  Standing still and perched on a top most branch they survey the minions below.

Folk travelling home from work and school kids that have shaken off the shackles of the timetable and bell.  There is value in order but not at the expense of health and well being.  When did it all become so sour?  At the dawn of the industrial and latterly technological revolution?  Or back in that garden when the luscious rosy red apple was stolen from that forbidden tree?



❤️     ❤️     ❤️     ❤️


Right where I am sitting:  The armchair in the corner of the room

The only sound is the hiss from the gas fire.  We have succumbed to switching on localised heat as an autumn chill pervades the air.  Rising fuel prices and a devalued pound is more than a little worrying.

Earlier today the sky shone blue and we enjoyed the autumn colours at a local country estate.  'The Kitchen' as it is called provided the backdrop to good food and conversation with a much loved family member.

From my seat in the cafe the pale straw like fronds of grass waved a graceful hello as they too enjoyed the autumn sunshine.  The colour combination of national trust green and slate grey solved a paint colour conundrum for the lounge back home.

Home that place where you can if you are lucky truly be yourself.  When the front door is closed it is akin to pulling up a drawbridge - an English person's home is their castle. What if you are not of these isles?  What if you are charting a perilous journey across unforgiving seas, will you find a welcome here?

No castle for the interloper but a tent instead.  'No room at our inn since you don't quite fit in," the rallying cry from the gutter press desperate to sell a copy or two.  Have they forgotten the heritage of these isles?  We are a mixed bag culture, actually originating from lands across the seas - from the icy planes of Norway to the Mediterranean heat of Rome and everywhere else in between.  Since when did we shut out the rest of the world and declare ourselves to be an independent state?  When we listened to the lies and the three word slogans: Get Brexit Done.  We've been done for sure - it was a stitch up Gov!

Invisible stitches hold the fabric of society together, fair share, people care and earth share - permaculture ethics spanning way back to time immemorial when we were gifted the earth to steward.  Gospel simplicity of care for the poor and take no more than you need.  Oh how the mindset wanders at the close of day.




❤️     ❤️     ❤️     ❤️
  
 
Yesterday involved ferrying Ben to his work at Valerie's and then swing by to collect Dave and Pip so that we could meet Dave's mum for lunch at Levens Hall.  The food really was spectacular:


Pip had Serrano ham with tomatoes, and halloumi on a bed of greens. 




Dave and his mum both had the pork with Puy lentils, Cavalo Nero and a potato Rosti.




I had feta cheese and bean salad with mint and lemon dressing on a bed of greens.  I think I'll be trying to replicate this recipe at home especially since we have our own home grown mint!




5 comments:

Eva said...

Lots of driving for you, San! Did you feel sad to drive around in your old "hometown"? Did the appointment at the hospital work out? Do you have to drive Ben to college? The food from Levens Hall looks so fresh and yummy. And you got to do some creative writing! That is wonderful! How is the new government feeling about Brexit?

Anonymous said...

Wonderful writing. Please do keep pursuing this- regardless of where it leads , all our voices have value

I suspect we would be quite similar in our view of the Govt and it’s focus - the rich are getting richer . I am lucky to own my own home outright, and whilst not wealthy I will, with some adjustments, be able to manage the rising cost . But that is irrelevant- if my friends and neighbours are cold and hungry then I must help them . Liz Truss and Co will not

I hope you have a chance to relax and feel proud of the support you gave your Mum,
And enjoy the life your children are carving out for themselves
Ben seems like a very handy chap to know !
Siobhan x

sustainablemum said...

Your writing is wonderful San, I love how you weave so many threads together. Please do share more.

Sandra Ann said...

Hi Eva, I must admit I didn’t really get to see much of the old place and since it is only 25 minutes from our new spot we often have to pop in for hospital appointments for Pip and a hairdresser treat for me 🙂. Mum’s appointment went well, she is on the list for thyroid surgery so hopefully the wait won’t be too long. Ben travels to college on a direct bus but I pick him up at the end of the evening otherwise he would be hanging around for an hour and a half til the next bus. Yes, the Levens food was absolutely delicious 🙂. Our new Govt aside from destroying the economy is now desperate to employ workers from abroad due to shortages of nurses, doctors and hospitality staff, it’s a complete joke!

Hi Siobhan, yes I think we do have a similar view of the Govt! We are fortunate due to a legacy from a Uncle and help from respective parents we were able to clear our mortgage and move into this place four years ago. The rising costs are quite disconcerting so I’ve been trying to buy a little extra each week and prepare a food store. It was really lovely to spend time with my mum and no doubt I’ll do it again in the New Year.

Thanks Siobhan for your encouraging words in regards to my writing it really is appreciated x

doe said...

It's so good you could be there with your mom, and see Kath and Ottilie in between. xoxo