Sunday 11 September 2022

Ordinary and Unusual Days

 As the days wore on the school tech issues were resolved and Pip completed her first week of  one of online lessons.  She wasn't the only one back to school and on Wednesday Ollie started his first day in reception:



Thursday was the second anniversary of my Dad and as the day reached a close the whole country was adjusting to the news that Queen Elizabeth 2nd  had died.  As a result there has been wall to wall coverage of funeral plans, interviews and the initial hand over of power to King Charles 3rd.   I've reached a point where I have had to switch off as it really is quite depressing, especially when I think of all the money that will be spent on a state funeral.   The powers that be have already intimated that folk will die this year of  cold and hunger it makes me very sad.



On a slightly lighter note, Ben is due to start college this week but his sessions will be two evenings a week instead of one full day.  This means he will still have time to work for a lady called Valerie, help at the church mowing lawns and undertake any other local paid work that might arise.  In addition he is pretty much rebuilding our side gate and has enjoyed applying his joinery knowledge in making some really sturdy joints:















The best laid plans of mice and men - we had hoped to visit my Mum today as it was her wedding anniversary and the plan was to attend mass and then go out for a meal with her, my brother Col and Dave's mum.  Sadly we are caught up with several weekends of absolute traffic chaos as two motorway junctions near to us are closed and effectively we are on a weekend lockdown!  There are some back roads we could take if we absolutely had to be somewhere but in the main we will stay local throughout September.

Sara, Tom and Ollie however did venture afield and it looks like they had a really lovely time - a suitable ending to one week and a good start to another:





Take Care x 



10 comments:

sustainablemum said...

Glad to hear that you got the technical issues sorted out with online school. The gate is coming on well, good work Ben. I heard about the motorway closures it sounded like chaos on the roads over the weekend, staying at home was probably a good move but I am sorry to hear that you have to cancel your plans as a result.

Eva said...

Ollie looks so big! How is he liking "school"? Those mountains look terrific! Where are they? Too bad about all the traffic chaos. Is there construction going on? What subjects is Ben taking? His wood projects look great. Will the gate get painted? Too bad you could not celebrate with your mother. Will you get another chance?

Eva said...

P.S. I have the perfect book for Ollie: Ollie's Back-to-School Bear.

Sandra Ann said...

I think the highways folk have had to put everything on hold because of the chaos this past weekend. Maintenance work needs doing yet trying to find the best time must be an absolute nightmare.

Sandra Ann said...

I think Sara, Tom and Ollie were walking on the fells near to them. It’s probably the camera angle that makes them look huge. Thanks for sharing about the book, I will see if I can get hold of a copy 🙂 Ollie enjoyed nursery and reception class is pretty much an extension of that, therefore so far so good 👍🏻

The motorway maintenance is essential waterproofing on two bridges over the roads but due to the chaos caused the highways agency has temporarily suspended works - I think there will be a lot of head scratching regarding how to proceed!

Ben is studying level 2 carpentry and joinery and yes once the panels are finished everything will be painted.

I’m stopping with my mum for a few days next week as she needs to attend a hospital appointment in our old place which is fifty miles from her own, so I’ll be up and down the motorway Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. After the appointment on Tuesday which is at 5:30pm we will have our evening meal in a local inn before heading home. It will be nice to spend some time with her on my own.

Sandra Ann said...

Sara has just confirmed that they walked up Gummers How( a hill in the Southern part of the Lake District) which although isn’t local to them it is not too big of a drive. It was there wedding anniversary walk with Ollie ❤️

Anonymous said...

You are going to be busy , but it’s lovely to hear how well your children and grandson are doing, as I think the pandemic was a very challenging time for them
Prayers that your Mothers appointments go well . My husband is having palliative treatment for cancer, and this week we only have one appointment, so it feels like a break
And sorry about the roadwork - we are having difficulty crossing to/ from Wales because of essential bridge work - it meant I had to miss a chance to visit with St Bernadette’s reliquary at our cathedral . I was disappointed.

Try to grab some relaxation where you can
Siobhan

Sandra Ann said...

Sending hugs and prayers to you Siobhan. I’m sorry to read that you missed St Bernadette’s relics I think she must be making her way North and will visit our cathedral at some point 🙂

Eva said...

Thanks so much for answering all my questions! How do you do waterproofing on bridges? I hope your mother will have good results for her appointments. And I hope that Ben is enjoying his studies.

doe said...

Ollie is adorably thoughtful in that first photo (!) and Ben is very talented :)