Tuesday 9 March 2021

Bits and Bats

 Ben is finally back at college after thirteen weeks away - three for the Christmas break plus ten for this recent lockdown.  He still hasn't had his first vaccine although he is in priority group 6 so hopefully it won't be too long.  Thankfully all of his work is outside so his risk of catching Covid is somewhat reduced. 

 Dave and I both had our vaccine last Tuesday, he was perfectly fine thank God but true to form I was the one with the reaction!  Within hours I was suffering from the chills followed by awful flu-like symptoms and then abdominal pain, which has only just subsided.  I'm not looking forward to jab number two, so grateful there is a twelve week gap in between :-)



Pip has continued to work hard with her online lessons and homework.  She finally finished her protest art which is now ready for submission:



















Pip's design brief was to research and choose a cause which could be made using at least two stencils.  Pip chose to highlight child slavery in the cocoa industry and the final design is meant to encourage the observer to, ask questions and understand why Fairtrade is more than just a symbol.  This bag has gone through several changes from the original design ideas to the mediums used ~ she explored spray paints and acrylics before settling upon fabric paints.  This project took six weeks from start to finish and she has gained not only knowledge but really good grades.  Well done Pip :-)


Ben has also been very busy and this shed is proof of that :-)  The only help he needed was me holding the sides whilst he positioned the back.  He really enjoyed the whole process and he too has gained some valuable skills.  Well done Ben :-)










10 comments:

dorinalouise said...

Kudos to Ben and Pip . . such great work. Shed and bag look wonderful.

I'm glad you and Dave have had your first dose, but I'm sorry your reaction was so intense. I hope the second is better, or at least no worse.

Is Ben enjoying college? How good that it's outside.

We had several warm days, but it's cold again today :) xoxoxo

elli said...

I love the shed! He did a great job. And yes, too, Pip with her bag! I am so sorry you had a difficult reaction to the vac, and I do hope you are feeling better now .... here in our location Thomas and I ought both be 'allowed' the vaccine as of next week due to our various medical issues, however, actually finding a location with spots available is ... well nigh impossible. So it may be awhile yet.

Love and prayers my dear!!

Eva said...

Is Ben enjoying to be back at school? I hope the vaccine side-effects are gone now. Great work, Pip!

Our shed is falling apart, maybe you want to send us Ben to build a new one :). It looks great!

Sandra Ann said...

Yes he’s pleased to be back. The vaccine side effects have gone thank God. Ben is booked in for his jab on Friday but thankfully it is the Pfizer. Pip is enjoying online school, she came second in a creative writing competition - most of her days are taken up with lessons and then homework, I dread to think how some kids cope with nine subjects 🙄. Ben really enjoyed building the shed, Shame we don’t live nearby I’m sure he would enjoy another round of construction work 🙂

Eva said...

I think the Pfizer is the only one for under 18, isn't it? Great for Pip! Yes, it would be nice to be able to come by and just visit.

Charlotte (MotherOwl) said...

I so hope you all are OK after your second jab. Happy Easter to you all!

Sandra Ann said...

Happy Easter 🙂. Thank you for stopping by we have recovered from vaccine side effects and are plodding along as usual 👍🏻

Kezzie said...

I didn't see this post-war sorry! I'm glad you had the jab but very sorry that it made you so ill. I had a dreadful headache the night after I'd had mine which meant I couldn't sleep but I was recovered after that.
Pip did really well with her bag and how great about their writing.
I remember all the juggling of subjects and activities when I was a teen well- I guess you just kind of get on with it. I do look back in amazement that I managed 10 subjects at GCSE (actually I was doing 1 A level too!) as well as 2 shifts at a chip shop, then orchestra, windband, choir, recorder club, string orchestra, piano lesson, recorder lesson, flute lesson, saxophone lesson, singing lesson as well as school ensembles, head prefect duties and all the concerts as well as a social life. I did the same for A level but with 5 A levels and a double bus journey and a 3rd chipshop shift! How I did it all is a mystery!!
The shed is so purple!!!! He did a really good job!

Charlotte (MotherOwl) said...

Seeing that you have not posted anything for a longish time, I send all my well-wishes your way and hope nothing serious is wrong in your little corner of the world.

Sandra Ann said...

Thank you for asking - we have been dealing with some very serious issues regarding Pip’s health 😕. She has been hospitalised twice due to her shoulder joints dislocating - she has widespread joint Hypermobility but more worrying she keeps collapsing without warning. This past week she wore a 7 day ECG and the report has confirmed that there is something significantly wrong with her heart, it is running abnormally high even when she is sleeping. I need to write a blog post I know but thank you for your care x