Wednesday 17 February 2021

Half Term

 This means I actually have access to the computer!  It's been a crazy six weeks but worth it and Pip has really enjoyed her lessons, as well the online interactions with her teachers and peers.  She has had homework assignments to complete this half term but with prudent planning she is making good progress.


Soda Bread for St Brigid Day.



Pip's protest art concerning the exploitation of children in the cocoa industry.  She had originally wanted to use this piece, but her challenge is to make at least a two layer stencil and we realised this would be too difficult to achieve.  It was back to the drawing board and so she came up with this revised plan:



Thanks to a You tube video she was able to learn about lettering and with the help of squared paper planned her design.  Pip has had a go at cutting out some of the letters but her finger joints pop out of place due to the pressure exerted and therefore Dave or I have been helping.  I think I've seen finger splints online and will be giving them a go to see if they will help.



Since we are in lockdown 3.0 and Ben is currently not in college, we have had to find various household projects to keep Ben busy.  He has installed an outside light, re-pointed the paving slabs on the patio, replaced electrical sockets in several rooms and has painted the new bike/tool shed before he pieces it together.



A little purple bike and tool shed, who knows there might even be room for a fold up chair for me (I do miss my 50th Birthday Shed which was left behind in the move two years ago) Either way, I'm sure it'll be decked with some crochet bunting cheer :-)





Dave and I are enjoying the break and aside from having a well earned rest we are managing to catch up on various admin and cleaning jobs in the home.  It's also the start of Lent and whilst I was enjoying a read of Eva's Lent posts, she reminded me of the Lent Calendar.  It has been years since we did one of these and I had great fun putting ours together for this year.  We are using The Church of England, #LiveLent resources this year as we always do well when we have a focus to work towards.  In addition St Nicolas Church are doing daily prompts and today's was calculating your carbon footprint and ours is 31st May ... insert horrified facial expression!  We do recycle, compost and our energy is 100% renewables but alas a car is a necessity.  However we can make changes with regards to meat consumption and excess packaging.


A Valentine treat for Ben and Pip






Shrove Tuesday pancakes, savoury and sweet.



Live Lent thankful feet.



Our carbon footprint result and our pledge as a result.




Thanks Eva for the timely Lent reminder and a chance to journey with you and Jesus this year x 


 

9 comments:

Eva said...

So excited to see your version of the Lenten calendar. We made ours today. I also listed some other resources on my blog today, nothing really new, but all in one place.

Is there no online instruction for Ben? It is great he is such a handy young man and can do all those projects. Great color for the shed!

I am thrilled to read that Pip is still doing well and has accomplished so much. Veronika was supposed to have her online literature class (Jane Austen) tonight, but her teacher is in Texas and has no power. So there was no class tonight. Our library was also closed because the furnace broke (we had -17 degrees the other night).

How is Dave doing?

Sandra Ann said...

Hi Eva,

Thanks for dropping by :-) Ben's college classes are all practical so no work from the college but it looks like the PM is wanting to open up schools etc from the 8th March therefore he might be on campus from that point on.

Dave is doing as well as possible, he's still undertaking his regular physio exercises but he needs to consistently have a rest every afternoon and that can be tricky with all that is going on at home. He uses a framed walker for best of the day but as the fatigue sets in during an evening he switches to a really nippy wheelchair that Mum H bought.

elli said...

Sounds like a good fruitful time all 'round for the kids, and that's lovely to read. Life is so fraught ... I am similar to Dave in the use of the walker, (wheelchair anywhere outside the house), and taking great care over fatigue, and by late afternoon my spoons are *gone* and I tend to crash ... supper is always on a tray in bed :-) but Thomas eats with me of course, so it's not like I'm shunted off somewhere, isolated :-)

It was so lovely to have your note at my blog, San! Thank you xox

Kezzie said...

The Lenten calender is a great idea!
I am so glad that Pip has been getting on so well with her online lessons!
Her slavery protest art is wonderful!
That's really sweet of you to want to send me a card- you really don't need to, it was just I wanted to do something silly for my birthday, which was why I mentioned it- BUT what is your insta name again? I'm losing my mind.
I did that Earth day thing once and I also ended my year horrendously early despite all my best efforts!

Eva said...

Thanks for the update! It does sound encouraging. We have no new active cases on campus and everybody is happy about that. So nice to hear that Dave is doing fine.

doe said...

Hello San, it's nice to hear what you are up to, and to see the photos of your lovely home. Your garden looks sweet and as if you are getting ready to do some planting. I hope you have had a little sunshine to warm things up. The shed color is wonderfully cheery and Ben's projects are impressive. It's good you and Dave had a little rest and it sounds like you are both doing well. Pip's artwork is fab and how smart to get the difficult writing over soon. That's a good accomplishment. I hope you and Eva post a little about your tasks along the Lenten path. It would be fun to hear about if you feel like sharing. I send you lots of love. xoxo, Dorina

Christina said...

It is very handy to have a practically minded teenager in the house. Maybe send him up my way when he's done with doing all the bits and pieces that need doing in your garden/house. I have a bird nesting box that is swaying in wind and that need some attention before breeding season gets underway :-)

Kezzie said...

Hello my lovely, let me know if you do want to join in with my TARDIS Tuesday post-leave me a link before tomorrow evening- would be lovely if you did want to but I understand if not possible! xx

Kezzie said...

P.S. San, I wonder if you would be interested in watching this concert with Pip whilst it is still available- https://lso.co.uk/whats-on/alwaysplaying/digitalactivities/space.html- I don't think it will be up for much longer.
It's a brilliant concert from the London Symphony orchestra aimed at Upper KS2 and lower KS3 age- so Pip's age- I took part in an LSO course 10 years ago and as part of it was involved in concerts like these and they are marvellous!
There's also other great LSO resources https://lso.co.uk/whats-on/alwaysplaying/digitalactivities.html here-