Friday 29 June 2018

Finally Recovering :-)

Since my last post which seems aeons ago, I was struck down with a nasty bacterial infection.  The cause was a Klebsiella bacteria that normally resides in the gut, but decided in my case to go walk about :-(  It took three courses of antibiotics to get it under control and then ten days later I was back at the emergency GP with similar symptoms.  In fairness to her she thought that the original bacteria had not completely cleared, since it is known as a super bug and is antibiotic resistant, so I left with another course of heavy duty antibiotics.  Little did we know that in fact my symptoms were due to a rampant systemic candida/yeast infection and it was only when I spoke with another GP that we were able to pinpoint the cause.  At that point I had already begun an anti candida diet and had just started a different set of herbal anti bacterial tinctures.  Within 24 hours the tinctures were doing their job and I had a horrendous herxheimer (candida die off) reaction: nausea, weakness, hypoglycaemia and a heart rate that was utterly bonkers!  Still the side effects proved that I was on the right track and that knowledge alone kept me going. My body has been clearing the candida infection but there were still a few issues earlier this week, so I decided to take a pharmalogical oral anti-fungal and the last remaining issues are slowly resolving, yay!

The kids have done an amazing job helping around the home but even they began to crumble when I wasn't improving, so Pip stopped with some home school friends for a while and Ben had a weekend with Sara, Tom and Oliver.  Sadly he missed five weeks of college as I was unable to get him there and Dave is no longer able to drive.  The college were really understanding and because he was up to speed with all his work, he only had a few loose ends to tie up.  Thankfully I was able to get him into college last Thursday.

We have had other local friends that have either taken the kids for a day or have ferried me to the GP surgery, several have seen me really sick and at a very low point.  One weekend the pain was so bad that I only slept four hours out of the 48.  Looking back the most frightening moments were when I was in a really dark place but literally by the grace of God, He pulled me through.  I couldn't think straight to pray but I found some amazing praise and worship music on YouTube and just listening to the words and humming along kept me sane.

I am so grateful that I am on the right side of recovery and being so sick certainly focuses your mind on being extremely appreciative of even the smallest things!  With that in mind I will leave you with some happy pictures from the past few weeks:
 My Birthday

 I had a reprieve on my birthday and was actually well enough to enjoy the day.  Ben made a lovely birthday breakfast and we also spent the day with Mary whilst Kath was at work.





 
Uncle Ben making himself useful :-)

Ben's Birthday







 Fr L not only came to visit Ben but he also brought the sacrament of the sick for me, for which I was truly grateful.


 Ben's T-Shirt reads:  I never got my acceptance letter from Hogwarts, so I'm leaving the shire to become a Jedi!




Poppy Cat
 
 Who needs a conventional cat bowl when you can drink from a bucket instead :-)

Thanks for reading and I hope to pop by soon xx 
 

18 comments:

elli said...

San, how awful. I am so sorry you've been suffering like this! {{hugs}} And I am so thankful that you are now on the road to wellness. Continued prayers for you of course, and hopes that you will be completely well as soon as possible. xox

dorinalouise said...

Hello San, all of you have been in my prayers. I figured you were ill when you didn't post for so long . . and then the birthday email confirmed it. I'm so happy that you are on the mend and that your birthday day was good :) Ben's shirt is one of Chanda's favorites, and little Oliver is turning into such a real baby boy! How wonderful to have family and friends to help out and how wonderful that Ben's college understood and that he's a good student! Sending you a big hug and love from all of us xoxoxo, Dorina

dorinalouise said...

P.S. Thank you for my good birthday wishes :) xoxo

Sandra Ann said...

Thank you for the continued prayers. Still experiencing a detox/ die off reaction and today was not good. Thankfully the childminder stepped in and had the kids this evening, she will also take them for part of tomorrow. We had already arranged that she would have them Wednesday and Thursday next week but she has also offered to have them for the weekend too. Trying to keep the kids going, coping with the heat and with Dave MS made worse by the heat has not helped this setback. Pain can be pretty bad and then my mental health starts to slide. Trying to pray through it all x

Sandra Ann said...

Have had a bit of a setback today, praying tomorrow will be better. Please read my reply to Penelope for extra info. Thank you for all your love and prayers xx

elli said...

San I am so sorry. This is a tough road. Continued prayers for you and for Dave. The heat effects me badly as well (with my brain tumor disabilities and the chonic GI issues) ... here it has been above 100F! ... what a blessing to have help with the kids, I am glad to hear it. Rest and pray, you are not alone in this. On my really bad days (had some difficult thngs recently) it is all I can do to pray, 'God help me, Christ be with me,' on an endless loop! xoxo

Sandra Ann said...

Thank you for reminding me I am not alone :-). My current phrase on loop is "Lord Jesus have mercy on me a sinner." Praying for you too x

Eva said...

Is Sara not nursing? What kind of vest is Ben wearing? It would be a hunter's vest around Western New York :). I hope you are still doing fine.

Sandra Ann said...

She stopped a few weeks ago, she had pretty much done combined feeding from when Ollie was born. What she needed in order to recover was a baby that was well fed and satisfied and by topping up after a breast feed meant that he settled into a really good sleep pattern. He has been pretty much sleeping through since eight weeks old. Ben's vest is an open flannel shirt funny how different cultures have different names for things :-). My body went through another 'healing crisis' at the weekend where you feel worse initially as more toxins are released. It confirms that I am doing all the right things and I now have further additional support from the herbalist. Both kids are stopping with friends in Liverpool so that I can rest and heal. The house is too quiet and I do miss them but they are totally happy and that is what counts. These past eight weeks have been really hard for them too and it is good that they can be just kids and not a carer for a sick mum! It will all come good I know xx

Sandra Ann said...

Have just realised the vest you are referring too, doh!! It is a high visibility vest that he wears when he is helping at Heron Corn Mill :-) Dave used to wear a coat and trousers made of the same material when he was a civil engineer with the railway, very important if you are overseeing a track relaying in the middle of the night!!

Fat Dormouse said...

It sounds like you've had a really horrid time of it. I hope that you are now well on the way to recovery. When I was suffering from the neuropathy after chemo, it was quiet worship songs that kept me going too - I'm also gently humming them as I go through radiotherapy every day now as well. Sometimes one just doesn't have the words, or someone says (sings) it better than you can! May God hold you in the palm of his hand.

Kezzie said...

Oh I am so sorry you have been so unwell. It is horrible when you get one illness, let alone two! I do hope you are improving. God is good and he is there in the quiet and he knows even when we cannot articulate our prayers except in moans and sighs (or something like that) and even in the humming of a worship song.
I am glad you were able to enjoy part of your birthday.xx

Sandra Ann said...

Thank you for your kind and encouraging words they are appreciated xx

Sandra Ann said...

Thank you for stopping by, I am making a steady progress and that is what counts :-) xx

Pen Wilcock said...

Uh-oh. Sorry you've been so ill. Well done for getting to the bottom of it. May you be rested, may you flourish, may you be well. xx

devonmama said...

Oh San, I'm so sorry to hear you've been ill! Very glad to know you're on the mend now, and that you had good support. I understand when you write about humming along to some good praise and worship music...my kitchen is usually full of the sound of the UCB channel on the radio, it's amazing how it can change your whole outlook! Praise God for your recovering health xxx

Sandra Ann said...

Thanks Carly for popping by :-). Recovery is slow with all sorts of dips and dives, very much like a rollercoaster ride! I have good support from a nutritionist and I am slowly winning the candida war!!

elli said...

Ongoing hugs and thoughts and prayers, San! Oh how I hope you are feeling better! xox