Saturday 9 January 2016

Daily Joys :: Epiphany Week

Benedetto's Pop Up Restaurant

 Sweet potato and celery soup 



In the pan



 Chatting and chopping


Paleo cottage pie, using mashed cauliflower and leeks as a topping.



Working Together


 A rare occurrence these days, the two of them working on a Lego project whilst Dave and I enjoyed a few moments peace :-)



Little Flowers


 Making sugar paste roses to top ...


 ... eton mess for our afternoon tea.



Epiphany Day Presents
 



 




  Beautifully wrapped presents, thank you Dorina, Greg and all.  Benedict read the Star Wars book in one sitting and we are using "Adam of the Road" as a read aloud.  Pip's "Blue Willow" book is our chapter book at bedtime and you can see from the smile on her face that acorn girls were a real hit.  Dave and I have yet to try the tea and coffee and this bag ...

 ... is now my knitting bag :-)

Looking back over these images not only makes me smile but is a reminder that joy really can be found in the midst of great difficulties.  It has been a really hard week this week:

 A very dear friend is dealing with a suspected serious medical condition and the thought of losing her seems to sad for words, so we are storming heaven for a good outcome and healing.  Both her and her husband have played a major part in our lives these past sixteen years and in the absence of family near by, they are our "local family."

 Dave started with a nasty virus on New Year's Day which in turn has exacerbated the MS, so his walking has dropped off again and I've lost sleep helping in the night.  We are both exhausted and frustrated by our circumstances but God's will is found in sickness and in health as well as in sorrow and joy.

Pip really did not want to return to school and she made a very convincing case on Wednesday night:  "You, Dad and Ben are at home each day, so why do I have to go?  All I do is work, work, work and Ben gets to go swimming, do some cooking and play with Lego!"  Despite her complaints she did get up the following morning and after a breakfast of her favourite food, boiled eggs with corn crackers, her and I were soon on the commuter run across town.

I am stretched thin and find it increasingly hard to deal with everyday events; it is by God's grace that I have not succumbed to a breakdown, but in my weakness is His strength.  In addition to my "daily joys photography" I have been writing out scripture passages  today's writing says it all:

"This is a great joy to you, even though for a short time yet you must bear all sorts of trials; so that the worth of your faith, more valuable than gold, which is perishable even if it has been tested by fire, may be proved ~ to your honour when Jesus Christ is revealed."  1 Peter 1 v 6-7

Be Blessed x 

 


10 comments:

elli said...

Oh friend. Hugs and prayers from far away. I understand so much of what you all are struggling with. A friend of ours was diagnosed with stage four brain cancer recently and .... One just has to go on, you know? Doggedly. Clinging to God and routines of prayer and good nutrition and fitness is what helps me. That, and practicing Love. Always, Love.

sustainablemum said...

Oh San I am so sorry to hear this. I do keep you in my thoughts everyday and hoped that 2016 was going to be a better year for you. Let me know if there is anything I can do won't you?

Sandra Ann said...

Yes, faith, hope and love. Thank you for your hugs and prayers they are appreciated xx

Sandra Ann said...

Thank you for keeping us in your thoughts. Will ring you and arrange a meet up soon xx

Hayley said...

*Sends hugs* and hope Dave feels a bit better soon.

I adore the sugar paste roses, what a lovely thing to create x

Gerry Snape said...

I'm so sorry to hear that things are difficult at the moment...would love to meet up with you again...maybe we could plan a coffee somewhere near where we met before! God bless...aunt Helen always said.."Keep your pecker up!"

Eva said...

Your food looks good! Pip made beautiful roses! I hope your friend will get well after all. Sending you lots of health across the ocean.

Sue Elvis said...

San,

I hope Dave is feeling better. Despite your many difficulties, joy pours from your photos. You have captured lots of special moments with your camera. To be thankful when suffering is hard, but you do that so well. Dear San, I pray God gives you many graces so you can continue to deal with everything. Sending hugs and love. xxx

dorinalouise said...

Hello San, I haven't been online in ages and you have been going through so much! I'm glad you like the gifts and that you have been enjoying the books. We loved reading both of those books aloud, just as you are doing. The paleo dish looks delicious! I've started on a "gaps" diet again and I would love to know where you got the recipe for the cottage pie and soup? Did you make them up or is it from the BBC website or the cookbook you once referred me to? Thanks so much. xoxo

Kezzie said...

God bless you.xxx