Tuesday 18 October 2022

Northumbria - Vindolanda

 As promised way back in the summer, we made our return trip to the North East yesterday for a one night stop over and a trip to Vindolanda.  There was loads to look at in the museum and we didn't even get chance to see the ruins outside, so I guess there'll be another return trip at some point!  We also stayed at the Youth Hostel known as The Sill  and the accommodation including facilities for self catering as well as onsite food was first class.

Here are some photos of our whistle stop tour:






Not many photos from inside the museum as there was just too much to take in and read.  Unfortunately Pip and I were not feeling well during the museum visit and at one point we both ended up sat on the floor!


A lie down after tea sorted Pip out but no such luck for me and I was dealing with an abnormal heart rhythm long into the night.  I had a similar problem when we were away in Norfolk in the summer, and I reckon it is an ME crash due to pushing through and not being able to rest.  It's not easy being the sole driver and it can often be the case of 'suck it up buttercup' cos nobody else is coming to the rescue!
















The shared kitchen and dining area was spacious and yet cosy.  As always we meet some lovely folk to chat to and it makes me think about the Pilgrim stories from The Camino Way.  Folk might travel together for a short time or share stories in the refugio for one night and then move on the next day.  YHA stories are very similar, making connections and moving on, and placing another foot on the pilgrim journey called 'life.'

A farewell to the room.



The view from our bedroom window.

There was an image in the dining room that really spoke to me and prompted a flurry of writing:



From This Far and No Further


' I the wall defend this place,
Across a dizziness of space.
I am controlled a ruled line
Mark of the safe, the sure, the known
I am the edge
The frontier
This is where the world ends:
Here 
Cliff Edge
Hawk-ledge
Fox-ladder
Adder- bed
Thorn-snag
Wind-rip
Rock-ruckle
Rook-castle
Sheep-slip
Stone-dip
Deep-drop
FULL STOP.
 

Right where I am sitting: Remembering Northumbria

Rolling hills, blue skies and ancient trails.  Stones marched upon and defended; stones prayed upon and those who lie buried.

The wall in honour of Hadrian, a pencil point mark from A to B and years of work, suffering and slavery.  The straight line, the right line, not veering off course and leading to the world's end.  Powerful in its existence, rigid in its entirety and ignoring all the laws of nature!

No walking the wall for me, the last time I walked anywhere of significant distance (8 miles in total) was 36 years ago - twin babies in a pram, tramping over fields and roads.  My heart however still lies in walking and so I look for it in books and images and over the years I've 'travelled' the Camino twice.  Those Pilgrim stories remind me of the Pilgrim Path I walk each day - some days the path is easy and in others I trip, stumble and complain of a metaphorical stone in my shoe!

This week is #InvisibleDisabiltiesAwarenessWeek and anyone looking at me would think, 'what's wrong with her?'  An unpredictable chronic invisible illness is just that and despite feeling ok setting off on our journey yesterday, things changed quite quickly part way through the day.  I have no shame in mitigating symptoms where possible, so spent a lot of time on the museum floor attempting to correct a crazy heart rate and non functioning legs - do what you can, where you can!

Unusually for me I also have a week of slightly bonkers existence so will be dploying my best management tips:  doing the bare minimum in between the craziness, harnessing the wonders of one pot meals and herbal remedies.



10 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a compelling piece of writing
And walking 8 miles with twins is no mean feat
I know how difficult it is managing life with serious health complications, and although for us this is a recent change, you learn fast and hard
I applaud you and Pip for having a museum lie down - I would have joined you
I admire you for carrying on and giving the best you can , even
on those hardest of days

Siobhan x

Sandra Ann said...

Thank you Siobhan for your lovely and encouraging words. I hope you and Tony are doing as well as possible. I don’t know about you but I reckon Larry the Downing Street cat should run for PM!! 🙂

Anonymous said...

I think Larry is the most sensible candidate yet suggested
Bring on a General Election and let’s have Keir for PM
Siobhan x

Anonymous said...

Sandra!!! I found the bunting!!! CBC had put it on the shoe bench and then a hat was put on top!
You are so, so kind!! Thank you so much. I am touched!!! It is gorgeous!!
I'm so happy you stayed at The Sill!!!
I love the Visitor centre and i adore the walk from Housteads to there via Sycamore gap!
I wish we could go to Hexham this week but Chris' sister seems to be staying with her boys.
Love your writing so much!
I'm sad that you have to push yourself to look after your family. You are amazing to do that when your body says no. Sending you hugs.xxx

sustainablemum said...

Vindolanda has to be one of my all time favourite museums. I am not surprised that you ran out of time to visit the outside bid. I am sorry to hear that you were not feeling great inside the museum, I hope you are feeling a little better now.

doe said...

Such a lovely trip San! Thanks for posting. It's nice to see and I like learning about the history of your area. I hope you are doing well this week and no more fast heart rate. I send you a big hug xoxo

doe said...

It's such a nice hostel and I always enjoy reading your thoughts of the moment :) I was curious about the name Vindolanda and just read that it means white lawns or white fields and that the name was found in several of the leaf tablets.

Eva said...

Whom did you travel with? Sorry about the rapid heartbeat. Peter's mother has been dealing with that and is on a low dose of blood thinner now. I think his sister also had it and they did a heart ablation on her. I still think you need to get the book "Minimus"! I do miss Roman ruins in the U.S.

That picture reminds me of the one that is on top of my blog. The path and its leading to also reminds me of the "nothingness" in the "Neverending Story" by Michael Ende. I am reading that book to Veronika and Flora right now (in German). And to think of all the people who build the wall (or any wall).

I hope you are doing well again. I had meant to comment earlier, but Peter was gone again, there was a ballet performance, and I had to prepare for the cultural fun night on campus. I think my life is getting more and more hectic.

Thinking about twins in the stroller: How is the newest grandchild doing?

Sandra Ann said...

Hi Eva, I'm sorry I'm late replying to your comment, it's been extra busy at this end but I've written a blog post explaining it all! We travelled with a young lass that we met at our little flowers group many moons ago, she's called Rosey. Her mum is from Georgia but she moved to Britain to complete her studies and met her husband over here. He used to be an Anglican minister but converted and so now he is a Catholic priest and father of five kids 13 - 3 years! I've left a comment on your blog, so glad to have caught up with you xx

Eva said...

Thanks for your reply. That is like our children: five children in 10 years :). So glad you could all go.