Saturday 2 February 2019

All The Things

I have been taking photos and meaning to pop by but life seems to get in the way and I'm often too tired at the end of the day :-)  But I am making a concerted effort to keep this space up to date, so here is a round up of the past week or so:

Home-school Days

We have been making good  progress in the home school classroom and a workable rhythm has slowly evolved.  Depending on medical appointments or college pick up we have been known to home school on the road or in cafes!






 Friday afternoon "Plant World" catechesis work whilst waiting for Ben to finish at college.

Outings This Week

Pip and AJ enjoyed our Thursday afternoon park and library trip.  The Build A Bear crew also came along for the ride and it was freezing cold!  We were very glad of the warmth of the library!

 Pip's Sam Bear is dressed as Kylo Ren from Star Wars and AJ's rabbit Build A Bear is wearing an outfit from Beauty and The Beast.


 Swinging in the left over snow.



 On a Thursday afternoon the library hosts an 'unwind' afternoon where folk can colour in a mindfulness book, work on a jigsaw or play dominoes.


 Playing Dominoes.

Volunteering

 










 
Ben completed his third session of volunteering at Wesley's Coffee Lounge this morning.  He made an epic frothy coffee just for me :-)  I was also volunteering in The Mustard Seed Fairtrade Shop, so Saturday mornings are mum and Ben time.

Books


I have joined a book club which is hosted by the same lady that runs the Friday night youth group.  Last months book of the month was this one:

  
 There is only one word I could use to describe this book and that is, Harrowing!  I don't do well with graphic subject matter and this book contained not only the death of a child but domestic violence.  There were some parts just too awful to read so I glossed over the nasty bits!  It's funny how I give the kids permission to abandon a book but I am a bit dogged when it comes to seeing a project through :-)  



 I read this book whilst the girls were playing dominoes in the library.  I read her book, 'French Children Don't Throw Food' a good few years ago.  Pamela Druckerman is an American mother writing about her observations of French family culture.



 This is a book after my own heart, inspiring and uplifting and a worthy bedtime read.

6 comments:

Eva said...

Your amount of snow was similar to ours here. It is quite cold, isn't it? But we had minus 38 C in the US! Can you imagine? It was about minus 28 in Pennsylvania and New York. They canceled classes at St. Vincent, so Jonathan had a day or tow off.

Good for Benedict that he is still volunteering. It gives them so many new skills, right! How as the coffee?

I don't think I could read that first book . . . I did once attend a lecture with a protestant pastor, a Catholic priest, members of the anthroposophical society, and parents, whose children had died early. That was quite interesting.

Our American library also has coloring pages out :).

By the way, did you ever find that saint print you could not find?

Sandra Ann said...

Yes I forgot to mention I did find my St Michael Icon, he had fallen behind the dresser :-)

The coffee was excellent! And volunteering is really important. When we moved I knew that getting himmto Heron Corn Mill for regular mill days would be tricky so I am glad that we have something local. He will still help at the mill for big days which he is really happy about.

Hope you have had a good weekend x

Kezzie said...

I'm not good at that type of book either- to the extent I just don't start them!
Glad you and Ben are getting on well with volunteering. Nice to see Pip and AJ thriving!

doe said...

Hello San, I'm catching up with your blog. I'm sorry Ben and Pip were so sick! I'm glad they're better now (and glad it worked out so well having the downstairs bedroom). Poppy is such a dear! How old is she now? It sounds like you have settled in so well with your new home and new town. There is so much to do where you are: bike riding, volunteering, guiding, homeschool dates with friends, college days, homeschooling in cafes, hiking, hanging out at the library, geocaching (I've never done this, it sound so fun!), being part of a local church. . Wow! Please tell Dave that even though he didn't get the blood red moon, the pic he did get is absolutely stunning! How is it that you started volunteering at the local coffee shops? The owls you met were beautiful :) xoxoxo

Sandra Ann said...

Hi Dorina, Thanks for stopping by :-) Yes there is plenty going on that is not only nearby but also stuff that Dave can do independently with the kids, which gives me a chance to catch up or put my feet up! I had an idea that Wesley's being a Christian establishment would have an opportunity for volunteering and since the local Fairtrade group meets there on a regular basis, I asked about the possibility of being involved and was met with an enthusiastic yes!! Hoping that you will catch up on your blog before too long, I miss catching up with your days xx

Sandra Ann said...

The second book looks to be reasonable thus far, I will have to do a review once it is finished :-)