Thursday 18 June 2015

Hospitality Begins In The Heart

For weeks now I have been pondering the whole homemaking thing ... It has proved a welcome distraction from the ongoing sickness on my part. (I am having regular reviews with the GP and am currently on my second round of blood tests)

The homemaking often portrayed in the glossy magazines, cyber space and Pinterest is the immaculate version; white walls and carpets, beach themed or shabby chic decor and not an item out of place!  Totally not my version of reality whereupon I battle daily with discarded Legos, crumbs underfoot and the four o'clock panic of "What are we going to eat for dinner?"

Jesus version of hospitality although at first glance might appear overly simplistic is in fact quite a challenge, we are called to "love one another with brotherly affection and to outdo one another in showing honour."  This is not a call to showmanship in the clean sweep stakes or gourmet style cuisine, no it is a call to preferring the needs of the other and in having a servants heart.

Little did I know in rising very early with my youngest and by God's grace answering the call of service, I would meet Him in the quiet of the lounge whilst she happily appreciated the beauty of creation from the swaying of the swing.  We both had our needs met as the rest of the household slept on.




" Let love be genuine.  Abhor what is evil, hold fast to what is good.

Love one another with brotherly affection.  Outdo one another in showing honour.  Do not be slothful in zeal, be fervent in spirit, serve The Lord.

Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer.  Contribute to the needs of the saints and seek to show hospitality."

2 comments:

Sue Elvis said...

San,

I often ponder hospitality too! I agree that Pinterest homemaking can be far from reality. I like my home comfortable and liveable which is just as well because there's not enough time to keep it pristine. I do find entertaining stressful. It probably has a lot to do with my introverted nature, but also I feel pressured to present a clean and tidy home to my guests. I know a welcoming attitude is what really counts, but I do want to treat my friends to a good meal and pleasant surroundings. But maybe fulfiling their needs for friendship, love and conversation is much more important than ensuring the house is spotlessly clean.

I can imagine sitting at your kitchen table chatting about everything and anything while devouring a bowl of Benedict's delicious soup and being quite comfortable amongst the Lego and crumbs! Yes, to be welcomed in despite the mess is a true gift. I have a friend who always smiles and welcomes us into her home whatever it looks like. She doesn't think, "Oh no! Guests! I wish they'd warned me and I would have tidied up." We are more important than the state of her home.

San, I hope the blood tests lead to some effective treatment. Take care! Sending you a hug.xxxx

Sandra Ann said...

So funny I have just left a message on your blog!! Thank you for such a beautiful reply, you are a dear friend xx